Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

2 do or not 2 do?

(8 Posts)
desprodad Sun 06-Jan-13 23:04:09

i'm still none the wiser to vaccinate against measles or not. my 3yo girl has autistic traits and i don't want to run the risk of making the traits worse, especially after talking to a childhood vaccine doctor who believes there could be a small risk that it might make it worse. has any1 gone down the homeopathy route instead of vaccines? if so i would love to hear about your experiences.

BeeMom Mon 07-Jan-13 02:25:28

I can't speak to the homeopathy side, but both of my DCs have ASD and both are fully vaccinated. We didn't see any marked increase in traits after vax (and the relationship is still a highly debated topic) and I don't regret the decision to vaccinate.

What is most important is that you have a GP who supports whatever decision you make, and that you are fully willing to accept the risks to your DD either way.

Not an easy choice at all... and frequently the hardest part of all is those who insist their way is the only way, and will do their best to sway you make you feel like crap or an inadequate parent if you don't do exactly what they say you should

Honks

PolterGoose Mon 07-Jan-13 18:15:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArthurPewty Mon 07-Jan-13 18:19:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 07-Jan-13 18:25:19

We went down the single measles and rubella vaccines. We are currently not able to get mumps vacc but in the future hopefully it will be available again.

Dd3 had an extreme reaction to each one of her combined vaccines and was very distressed and uncomfortable for a week after each one.

Afaiac, she already had ASD but like Leonie I was worried enough to seriously consider our options.

I am sorry but you are always going to get opposite views on a thread about this subject and it really is something you can only decide on your own gut instinct for what is right for your child.

Good luck whatever you decide.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 07-Jan-13 18:25:40

Make the decision to go ahead or not BUT accept responsibility for the risks either way. Don't believe that homeopathy will protect your children. That will put your children at greater risk imo as you are believing they are protected when they aren't which is dangerous.

I delayed the vaccines for my DS2 ..who had autistic traits and other problems from birth, but eventually had him vaccinated at about 4 or 5, feeling that I wanted him a bit more robust before risking it..he's 15 now so the worries about vaccines and ASD was much more at the forefront then. However watching a friend's child's be terrifyingly ill with measles (and left with permanent disability) meant I did not want to trust to herd immunity to protect him.

To vaccinate or not is a very personal decision and while personally I believe the benefit massively outweighs the risk, we should all choose what we believe to be best, once researched properly.

But don't go the homeopathy route please... that really has been proven to be a crock of bullshit.. and it will not protect your daughter...

HotheadPaisan Mon 07-Jan-13 23:34:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now