Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Poorly worded proposed statement - best place to get advice from?

(7 Posts)
steelev48 Thu 03-Jan-13 21:50:11

Hi.

I have received my son's proposed statement.

Nothing at all has been specified either in the statement or the professionals' reports. There is some "consideration needs to be given to"'s and "program of regular"'s, as well as some "differentiated" this and thats.

Parent Partnership have looked it over, pointed out a few issues that I hadn't noticed, agreed that it is "too woolly" and recommended that I speak to the SENCo next week for her feedback.

Is there someone I can contact to cast a professional eye over the proposed statement for me (possibly the professional reports too)and help me to suggest re-wording or what to do about the lack of quantification?

Thanks.

beautifulgirls Thu 03-Jan-13 22:06:03

I would give IPSEA a call and speak to one of their volunteers. Also worth having a read of www.ace-ed.org.uk/Resources/ACE/advice%20booklets/GettingTheStatementRight%20Mar2011.pdf

steelev48 Fri 04-Jan-13 15:48:48

Thank you for that. Their line is permanently busy but I shall persist.

In the mean time, is there anywhere online with an example of a well-written statement? My searches are all coming up with info about what a statement is but no examples of actual statements.

inappropriatelyemployed Fri 04-Jan-13 15:54:43

There is a guide here

steelev48 Fri 04-Jan-13 22:43:03

Thank you, that guide is very helpful.

Veritate Sat 05-Jan-13 11:37:28

Also try SOS SEN.

mariammama Sun 06-Jan-13 00:58:27

I wrote out the 'dream' version of the statement according to my above-professional guidance (as his parent ie the only multidisciplinary team member who actually has the full picture) and then looked at the evidences to see if it matched what they suggested. It was a remarkably close fit.

The lack of specification in the reports was overcome by contacting them to say "you stated vague x for ds1's difficulty with whatever, would something like specific programme y be suitable?" Quoted the answers as 'updates'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now