Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Private Peads

(14 Posts)
hoxtonbabe Wed 12-Dec-12 21:14:45


Of late, people I have been speaking to, have started to mention my son could be on the AS, especially with his difficulties around social interaction.

By the time I wait for GP to refer, get on waiting list and all the rest of it, he would have left school, I was told I could still get my GP to refer to an private pediatrician, however I would like to pinpoint someone specialising in this area.

This is all very new to me as the focus has only ever been his speech and language, so I am not so clued up on the top players in this area.

Any recommendations??

Many thanks

Paribus Wed 12-Dec-12 21:50:44

What exactly do you need- sorry, didn't quite get it from your post. Private paed? Paed who specializes on autism? Neurologist? SLT with autism experience?

hiddenhome Wed 12-Dec-12 22:21:16

Most LAs ignore private diagnoses and you will not receive the help you require unless you pay privately for it. You also won't receive help in school sad

My ds1 was diagnosed with adhd and dyspraxia by a reputable peadiatrician, but the LA and CAMHS won't entertain the diagnosis sad

hoxtonbabe Wed 12-Dec-12 22:30:07

sorry a pead I think?? As I said this is all a bit new to me, but the person on the charity helpline said I need a pead that specializes in Autism as we need to get a diagnoses (assuming he meets the criteria)


hoxtonbabe Wed 12-Dec-12 22:36:18

Hidden...With that in mind, my local CAMHS are wonderfully unsupportive, so given the limited time I have, how does one go about all this. I was just reading on the GOSH website, that the referral should come from CAMHS, and that is not going to happen as they are in cahoots with the LEA, although they say in exceptional circumstances the GP can refer, maybe as he already has his statement for his Speech and Language and the limited time my son has, and the fact the school are not able to meet his needs (although this is due to refusal to implement statement, rather than treatment not working)

hoxtonbabe Wed 12-Dec-12 22:39:59

Hang on...As this is for my appeal, does it matter if the LEA pay no mind to it? Surely it will be down to the judge to accept it or not?? I am not being cheeky I really am clueless when it comes to this area.

They didn't particularly accept, my EP assessment, but elements of it were order by the panel (albeit the parts that were cheap for the LA to fund...sods!)

StarOfLightMcKings3 Thu 13-Dec-12 15:35:41

'Most LAs ignore private diagnoses'

No they don't. I had the shitiest LA in the coutry (or at least one of the top 3) and they didn't ignore the private dx.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Thu 13-Dec-12 15:36:51

However, many people use Daphne Keen because she runs a private clinic but is an NHS Paed and very well respected in the NHS.

It's a bit tricky to ignore her private dx when she is such a reputable NHS paed.

You pay for it though.

T3009 Thu 13-Dec-12 16:31:30

I disagree, my LA definitely took into account the private diagnosis and they agreed to assess at my very first request.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Thu 13-Dec-12 16:37:02

I've used DK. Tribunal not til May so can't say how effective it will be there. Statement a bit (or rather, a lot) sniffy - put her report under 'parental evidence'. But good enough for the school (senco loves to quote it) and for EOTAS (DS1 out of school). Consultation is itself diagnostic so she doesn't carry out formal assessments. Also used Margo Sharp, specialist SALT who is authorised to use ADOS and DISCO. Cost ya though. PM me if you want copies.

mrslaughan Thu 13-Dec-12 18:33:24

We saw Dr Ricky Richardson at GOSH - privately, very expensive process though. but expense is dependent on what he recommends.

Paribus Fri 14-Dec-12 00:45:01

From what I read here, Daphne Keen would be the person to go to, but the waiting list is quite big. I always recommend our fantastic SLT Jackie Harland, she has a lot of experience with autism and can give you thecright direction after initial assessment.

clare40 Fri 14-Dec-12 07:12:33

Has anyone used the Learning Assessment and neurocare centre? (Lancs) it's in Crawley and was on Bupa's list.

hiddenhome Fri 14-Dec-12 11:30:18

I used the LANC in Horsham and they were very good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: