Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How much funding does MS receive for a 32-hour statement?

(10 Posts)
countdowntoxmas Wed 12-Dec-12 14:10:30

I know that this probably varies from county to county, but is there a rough costing to this, so that I can bear it in mind when considering MS placement vs SS?

bjkmummy Wed 12-Dec-12 14:36:22

ive recently had to work this out for my child - for 32.5 hours it came to approx £18k - will vary slightly as the cost of a school place per county /school could be different but its a rough estimate to go on - a special school generic polace can be between 15k and 18k - i know that cos i did a freedom of information act request on 2 schools i was interested in

StarOfLightMcKings3 Wed 12-Dec-12 14:36:52

Well, it depends on lots of things tbh, but a good place to begin is looking though adverts for Teaching Assistants in your county. Don't worry about who pays this LA or School, it is the cost OF THE CHILD that you can take account of.

Also you might need to look at NHS cost of OT or SALT etc. if relevant. They are roughly £100 per hour of face to face. So weekly OT of an hour is around £3800 iyswim.

bjkmummy Wed 12-Dec-12 14:39:11

yikes star - my son needs an hour of OT per week and 90 mins of SALT - hence why we are off to tribunal

jomaman Wed 12-Dec-12 14:51:20

make sure you include not just what the LSA would receive but also "on-costs" (not exactly sure what these are, but usually people say it is 20% of what is paid to LSA), sorry I don't have a source for this but you could google.

lougle Wed 12-Dec-12 17:31:11

Why would you need to bear the cost in mind? The whole point is that you need to get the setting that meets your child's needs regardless of the cost. If MS costs £25k but special costs £18k, and MS is best for your child, you fight for MS. Vice versa, if SS costs £25k and MS costs £18k, but MS is best for your child, you still opt for MS.

The cost is irrelevant, unless the LA are using it to justify an inappropriate placement.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Wed 12-Dec-12 17:52:45

Lougle is absolutely spot on, but cost is coming into it more and more under the 'reasonable use of the public purse' argument it is actually legal to refuse to meet a child's needs iirc. or at least as an excuse to reduce the meaning of 'adequate'.

Inaflap Wed 12-Dec-12 18:15:08

To be honest a child who needs that much support would be best in a special school because 32 hours you are talking about support all the time and really they become the kid with the adult attached to them, we call it velcro support, rather than integrating with the class. At special the support can hover and children have the facility to operate independently. Cost does come into it and if you are looking at state special provision then i think it would be more cost effective for them to provide that.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Wed 12-Dec-12 18:24:22

Ineed This is why so many of us want ABA as it is 32 hours of vigilant wallpaper. It is possible but the LSA has to be very highly trained. The usual standard is indeed velcro, but that isn't a problem with the theory, it is a problem with the practice.

HotheadPaisan Wed 12-Dec-12 19:03:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now