Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA mobility. Do they send out forms automatically? If so when,and would ds be eligible?

(7 Posts)
hazeyjane Tue 11-Dec-12 12:19:46

Ds is 2.5 and on high rate care element of DLA. He started walking at 2, but has low tone and tires quickly, so out and about he is usually in buggy. When he does get out he is unsteady on his feet,has a 'drunken' gait, and is, hmm, erratic? He has no speech, and although has pretty good understanding, really has no concept of 'no'! I realise though that being in a buggy and having no road sense at 2.5 is fairly standard!

I assumed when ds started walking that physio would wind down and that he would not be eligible for dla mobility. But he still has physio every 3 months, has piedro boots (he has very small clenched feet) and his physio was talking about him possibly needing a walker at preschool (although I don't think this will be necessary, but it is hard to know, because at the moment I am always with him, and he gets carried if he is struggling).

Is it worth us going for the mobility element? And if it is, do I have to phone for the forms or will we get sent them when he turns 3?

Thankyou.

ChristmasTreegles Tue 11-Dec-12 12:51:21

I was told that they automatically send out forms for mobility when they're already getting DLA once they are old enough, but they never did. That being said, we were told it was age 5 as well. sigh... so much confusion about it all...

I would say don't assume they'll send it. If you know the time is coming up, just ring them and ask for us to send it.

thereonthestair Tue 11-Dec-12 13:40:01

I was sent mine when ds was 2 and a half. Ds can't yet walk though (CP) but has a walker. I think you should get it from what you say as they ask about distance and aids.

I sent DS form back last month back but not yet heard not even an acknowledgement. Ds will be 3 in March.

survivingwinter Tue 11-Dec-12 13:59:25

We didn't get LR mobility until dd turned 5 but she has similar problems walking - drunken gait, wobbly on uneven surfaces and needs an extra eye on her at all times. I think we got the forms sent automatically as renewal was up when she turned 5 - she was on MR Care prior to that.

WipsGlitter Tue 11-Dec-12 14:02:28

DS is nearly three and can't walk (Downs Syndrome) i think they will send the forms out automatically when he is three. Can't believe he's still not walking. sad

devilishmangerdanger Tue 11-Dec-12 14:34:51

Yeah we were sent out ours before 3yo, DS couldn't walk either.

Wips have they said if there is any reason why he's not walking. DS also has down syndrome, he was 5 before he would weight bear, to stand a little. I have known some as late as 7yo, hope this inspires you, as like you I felt gutted mine didn't walk either.

proudmum74 Tue 11-Dec-12 22:49:21

Hi, DD is 2.8 and we were sent her DLA renewal a few months ago, the mobility question is part of the main form.

wisp - don't be too disheartened my DD also has down's and she only started pulling herself to standing a few months ago, and took her first few steps last month, so your DS really isn't that far behind. I also thought that it was never going to happen, and she can still only take a few steps independtly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now