Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

report copied to someone I have never heard of

(7 Posts)
StarOfLightMcKings3 Sun 09-Dec-12 19:50:53

You may be on more peoples 'caseloads' than you think. Departments get funding for no. of children on their books so they like to 'collect' children to justify their postions and empires. They don't tell you in case you actually request they do something.

Lougle Sun 09-Dec-12 19:45:45

Statements are legally binding. Are medical hours? wink

thereonthestair Sun 09-Dec-12 18:15:38

Thanks. I think I will talk to the nursery to see if they know this person, and then raise it with the OT. I suspect we will think about a statement but for the moment my county do medical hours rather than statements for children with CP but no learning difficulties. I guess that may change though?

ChristmasTreegles Sun 09-Dec-12 16:11:50

While they may be looking at a statement, if the OP hasn't given permission for child's information to be passed to the EP, it shouldn't have been sent. I would send a letter requesting to know who that person is and in what capacity they have been sent your child's confidential information. Also make sure to point out that you are unaware of giving consent for this information to be shared with them.

I have problems with schools taking shortcuts in that way and bypassing the whole "need consent to share info" regardless of whether or not that person will be brought in at some point. If they know that person may be involved, then take a few minutes, advise the parents, and get their consent FIRST. It doesn't take that long, and it keeps everything clear to the parent.

mymatemax Sat 08-Dec-12 17:44:41

Hi I think i would speak to the OT in the first instance, take her advice she may know if a complaint may help change their minds ;).

On the funding, we had a similar problems & it was actually the freeholder of the building that ended up footing the bill not the nursery (who were just leasing the property) as a public building he was responsible for making it accessible.
The LA did help fund adapting the toilets however.

Lougle Sat 08-Dec-12 17:43:56

You are likely to have/should have filled in a form saying that they can share information with other professionals. The fact that your DS has CP means he's highly likely to need a statement in school, so I suspect that the EP may have been made aware of your DS as standard.

thereonthestair Sat 08-Dec-12 17:33:03

Hi. Just got a report back from the local county refusing funsing for DS nursery to make adaptions (handrail and ramps as DS can't walk due to CP). seems bonkers as a decision as they say the nursery should pay. I'll pick that up with them though.
My question though is why the report was copied to an educational pyschologist. DS doesn't have one, never met one. The funsing appliction was from his OT.

should I just ignore this? write back and say assume that this letter was copied to woman I have never heard of by mistake, or a letter about a different child as clearly this woman knows nothing about my DS, or kick up a fuss as I sure as hell have given no conset for this woman to have anything to do with ds?

I can't decide. I actually think it could be a mistake and should have been copied to the OT not this woman (and I have a good relationship with the O and could ask). Initially I was cross as to my mnd its a clear breach of data protection but I may yet need the department (early years) on side, and I may be due to have a frank exchange of views with the Paed (also copied in the new year). Any theories?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now