Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The horror of social dancing

(7 Posts)
wigglybeezer Tue 04-Dec-12 18:44:10

Poor DS2, i have been feeling very relaxed lately as his first year at high school has been going smoothly, until now.

Scottish Mumsnetters will know all about the annual ritual of practising Scottish Country Dances like The Gay Gordons and the Eightsome Reel before the School Xmas Dance. It seems to be a permanent fixture in our education system and is why everyone knows how to do them at weddings and ceilidhs, which is fun unless you are spectrummy and dyspraxic (also one of the youngest in the year) and tend to avoid girls at all costs.

DS1 heard via the PE teacher that DS2 broke down in tears today, not good for his street cred. Do you think I should ask if he can just observe for a couple of lessons or should we attempt to practise at home? I better write a note.

Ineedpigsinblankets Tue 04-Dec-12 18:50:24

Aaahhh, bless him. Poor boysad.

I always wondered how everyone knew the dances. I have no advice for you but please give him a hug. Dyspraxia and dancing do not go well together.

wigglybeezer Tue 04-Dec-12 19:00:53

He also had to grate cheese (his most hated food in the whole world) to make cheese straws in home economics this week, he ended up only using half and brought some distinctly uncheesy snacks home (which i dutifully ate grin).

sannaville Tue 04-Dec-12 19:10:42

Ahh bless him! I grew up in Scotland and remember distinctly hating that dancing!! Although fun when you're older its not so fun at high school!! I would try and practice with him at home to give him confidence but ask if he can sit it out for now

troutsprout Tue 04-Dec-12 19:28:48

shock
Perfectly normal to have complete horror of social dancing IMO !
Ahem << gazes at ceiling and whistles>>
Blimey keep him off... Beg teacher...burn down the school ... ANYTHING!!

AgentProvocateur Tue 04-Dec-12 19:42:28

Ah, social dancing.... <reminisces fondly about my school days>

wigglybeezer Tue 04-Dec-12 20:45:08

I have talked to him now, he did get upset because it all got a bit much - they had to dance with fourth years! (imagine his wee face at teenage bosom height!). However he doesn't want to be one of the ones sitting out and is willing to persevere, bless him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now