Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do you get hassled about using your blue badge?

(11 Posts)
perceptionreality Sat 01-Dec-12 10:57:44

My dd now qualifies for a blue badge as she has been awarded higher rate mobility under the severe mental impairment criteria. She is 11 and runs into roads and has no danger awareness at all. It will really help me to take her out if we can park close to everything.

But I remember reading on here that somebody actually had their car damaged by someone who felt they didn't look entitled to use a disabled bay.

Do you have problems like this and how do you deal with people? I am not a very formidable looking person (although I can and will stand up for myself) and I don't want to have to deal with aggression from nasty busy bodies on a daily basis. But it seems to me that this is par for the course when you use a blue badge?

Ilovecake1 Sat 01-Dec-12 11:08:33

Hi, we have one and our LO has autism and chronic disease. She get Low mobility with DLA but the local authority gave us a blue badge due to her chronic disease.

I have never had any trouble but sometimes I do feel that we have some "looks". I wouldn't say nasty but as if people are thinking why have they got a badge... I just worry that people think that me or my husband are trying to pull a fast one!! But that's me just being a bit paranoid!!wink

perceptionreality Sat 01-Dec-12 11:45:49

Looks I can cope with but I have heard of physical and verbal abuse! I don't see why we should have to justify ourselves to complete strangers who think they can tell by looking whether or not someone is disabled.

Perhaps the disability symbol (a person in a wheelchair) should be changed. Because there are an awful lot of ignorant people who seem to think that if you can physically walk you are not disabled.

ThoughtBen10WasBadPokemonOMG Sat 01-Dec-12 11:48:19

I have one for me and I don't "look" disabled iykwim. No-one has actually said anything to me but I always feel the eyes of old people on me. Waiting for them to start on me for my disabled bay outside my house on our very difficult to park road.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 01-Dec-12 11:49:22

Never, but we can rarely use it as the spaces are always full, often taken by people who are clearly just affecting a slight limp if they see anyone watching them park there..it's shocking really

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 01-Dec-12 11:50:15

Am not talking about invisible disabilities, of course, but people that are asking fine then start hamming up a limp if they see you looking.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 01-Dec-12 11:50:46

*walking not asking

googlyeyes Sat 01-Dec-12 12:05:45

I was (and still am!) always primed for someone to comment re our blue badge for ds1 but so far nothing but loaded looks from old folk.

Actually an old lady did point out that the space we were in was a blue badge but when I waved ours at her she went silent and walked on.

Tbh I almost feel cheated that I haven't had the chance to unleash my rehearsed script at anyone yet!!

mymatemax Sat 01-Dec-12 13:09:22

we dont tend to get hassle, TBH there are far more parked in disabled bays without displaying a badge at all.
We had a few looks when he was younger but he uses a wh/chair most of the time these days. People are more understanding if the disability is obvious.

perceptionreality Sat 01-Dec-12 13:20:12

I read that it's almost always old people. Why would that be? Is it worth getting a sticker which says you have a disabled child in the car?

perceptionreality Mon 03-Dec-12 11:38:52

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now