Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is this a standard DLA letter?

(12 Posts)
mymatemax Sat 01-Dec-12 09:44:42

ds2's DLA review is in progress, had a txt from them to confirm receipt and then this morning received a letter entitled 'Review of appointment to act for Disability Living allowance'
It says 'we are writing to review your role. We want to ensure the appointeeship is working well and there are no issues we need to address.

Then there is a reminder of the responsibilities with a declaration to complete, sign & return to them.
I have no problem with completing it, I just wondered if it is a standard letter or if I am just lucky & have been chosen ;)
Thanks

SallyBear Sat 01-Dec-12 09:52:49

Oh god! I've not heard of such a thing! I got DD's claim pack through and they now give you 6 weeks to fill it in. <clears diary and gets out gin to get me through it>

SilkStalkings Sat 01-Dec-12 09:59:04

The reminder of responsibilities rings a bell but didn't have to send back any additional forms (oct/nov.)

mymatemax Sat 01-Dec-12 10:02:07

A reminder of my responsibilities as an appointed person are:
You must always act in the best interest of the child. This means you must

Manage & spend the money from DLA in a way that serves their interest
tell DWP of any changes etc etc etc
tel DWP if child stops living with you
not take a fee or payment from their benefit for acting as an appointee

It goes on to say... We will review your status as an appointed person if we think you are not acting in the best interests of the person named above.
Nice!

SallyBear Sat 01-Dec-12 10:06:21

Big brother.

perceptionreality Sat 01-Dec-12 10:47:32

Yes, it is a standard letter which now goes out to all the parents or appointees of a child who claims DLA when a claim is renewed. I got the letter in September after I completed dd's renewal. I was a bit concerned about it because I couldn't remember getting one before - dd first claimed DLA about 8 years ago when she was 3.

I found a newspaper article in the Guardian I think it was which says this is something recently brought in by the government in relation to DLA.

We got the decision last week and I was then sent another similar letter reminding me of my responsibilities. The tone of it does come across as accusatory imo.

bjkmummy Sat 01-Dec-12 11:42:12

ive had one and the tone did worry me as well as it felt like they thought i was off on holidays with the money!!! did a bit of digging and everyone will get one at some point, probably at renewal etc - it is some european legislation that our govt havent been complying with so to comply they have to send the letters out but i agree, it does worry you when you receive it - the tone is a bit over the top but just complete it and send it back, it really isnt anything to worry about

mymatemax Sat 01-Dec-12 13:06:16

Thanks, thats reassuring. I suppose that means i cant book a luxury cruse now then smile

perceptionreality Sat 01-Dec-12 13:18:31

The thing is though, it's never entirely clear what you are supposed to spend it on. You aren't supposed to save it up, apparently. Presumably as long as the disabled person benefits from what you spend it on it's ok? When my dd was on her ABA programme I used to buy lots of toys and reinforcers etc - we owned most of the ELC! Now she's older I buy nice clothes for her that don't wear out quickly and on trips out for her to go out to places she enjoys.

In the article I read the journalist pointed out that the Inland Revenue doesn't send out tax credit letters in the same style to ask whether you are buying alcohol with the money! I am not sure if it's something to do with a disabled person being particularly vulnerable and likely to need a appointee when they reach adulthood.

mymatemax Sat 01-Dec-12 23:52:05

it is meant to help with the additional costs. His mobility payment pays for the mobility car.
Care helps pay for all the other stuff. In addition to all the additional expenses I also have not been able to retunr to my previous job & have taken a mor eflexible part time role (with same employer) instead.
So we are definatly financialy worse off, our water & heating costs are immense thats without extra clothes, bedding, equipment.
Hospital/appointment costs, unpaid leave etc etc.
We also buy stuff for the school to use in the classroom if something comes up in the year that school havent got the funds/budget for.

Definitely not anything left over to save up, buy alcohol or go on exotic holidays smile

mymatemax Thu 13-Dec-12 19:33:21

WOW, thats some sort of record had DS2'S award letter this morning. No change!
HRM & HRC until he's 16... so no more forms for 6 yrs hooray!!

perceptionInaPearTree Fri 14-Dec-12 11:55:22

Well done! Great news smilesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now