Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

West London parents (and borders) of children with ASD - possible new schools

(15 Posts)
Loueytb3 Thu 29-Nov-12 13:02:35

Apologies if someone has already posted about this...

There are moves afoot to create two new schools for children with autism.

1) HACS Free School - a secondary school for higher functioning children with ASD

2) Eden Academy Free school - for children with SLD/MLD and ASD aged from 4-19

I don't know much about the latter, but there is a meeting next Tuesday evening about HACS free school. More details here or on their facebook page (search for HACS free school). The intention is that if the applications succeed both schools will open in September 2014.

Apparently, the applications have the support of 7/9 London boroughs (and the other two are still to be met with).

You can also fill in a very short questionnaire (available on the HACS website) which will keep a record of children who may need places further down the line. They said that they are future planning to see how many children may need places at different points in the future, so even if secondary school is a way off (my DS1 is 5), then its worth filling it in.

Firawla Thu 29-Nov-12 13:16:47

Oh the first one is quite near me, I filled in the form - my ds is not even 3 yet! but did it to show support and in case he needs it in the future

If you are in the area have you ever been to the hacs support groups workshops etc? I got their leaflet with the dx and meaning to go but not been yet, so just wondering really

Loueytb3 Thu 29-Nov-12 14:39:14

Yes I've been to a few workshops and some of the support groups (although I'm back at work now so more difficult). The workshops are really good.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 29-Nov-12 15:53:00

Where are they?

IndigoBelle Thu 29-Nov-12 17:50:27

Hillingdon / Hayes / Eastcote.....

www.hacs.org.uk/events.htm

Mum1969 Fri 30-Nov-12 10:30:26

I thought Hillingdon already had Hillingdon Manor? Why the need for another school there?

IndigoBelle Fri 30-Nov-12 10:35:01

Hillingdon Manor isn't a free school. It's independent..... So is hard to get into.

I haven't been to the meetings, or looked into it at all, but I assumed this school would cater for children who require less support than the kids who go to Hillingdon Manor?

Besides which there are so many kids with HFA there certainly is the demand for another school.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 30-Nov-12 10:38:54

Hillingdon Manor isn't for HFA children iirc.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 30-Nov-12 10:39:36

Nice to see you Indigo! smile

IndigoBelle Fri 30-Nov-12 10:41:26

HACS says: The school will specifically cater for pupils of 'average' or 'above average' intellectual ability.

Whereas Hillingdon Manor says: the school offers a unique mix of education and support to pupils within a wide spectrum of needs and abilities.

alison222 Fri 30-Nov-12 10:59:30

I am a bit hmm about NAS schools , after speaking to someone I know who went to tribunal about school placement and ended up with her child in one. She said that the school wouldn't let her have a proper tour and see inside any of the classrooms. They were reluctant even to let her see the playground. HER DS is severe ASD, non verbal and she is having problems with them feeding him dairy as he is intolerant, and also him eating things he shouldn't as she can see strange things ( from the classroom) being excreted.
I would hope that a HF school would not have quite the same problems, but if the management is similar I have my doubts.

colettemum3 Fri 30-Nov-12 18:10:01

Online form not working :'( when it gets to the date of birth bit. I live in West London. Will this be for statemented children?

bee169 Fri 30-Nov-12 18:19:08

Hi Collette,

When you put in DOB it needs to all be in numbers ( that confused me aswell!!)

Loueytb3 Fri 30-Nov-12 19:20:12

As far as I know, the NAS are not involved. It's purely a HACS initiative.

Hillingdon manor was originally set up for HFA children (the person who set it up had boys with HFA who had nowhere to go). However, over time it has changed and now has a whole mix of abilities and children with behavioural problems as well. HACS said at the meeting last week that they specifically didn't want to go down that route as they felt that mixing abilities up didn't work. In any event, I'm not sure that they would have the capacity to deal with the number of children who would need places in the future.

Nice to have you back indigo grin

colettemum3 Fri 30-Nov-12 22:05:56

Thanks Bee i figured it out later but couldn't get back online as hubby had hogged the sofa spot where my lappy is kept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now