Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dragon voice software-been suggested any info

(3 Posts)
3rdnparty Mon 26-Nov-12 14:03:48

Hi, Ds (7) who has been diagnosed with dyspraxia has had an Ed Psych report which has suggested the school look at dragon voice recognition...

has any one used this?? is it any good ?? what do we need to know in advance....my impression of voice recognition is based on old sci-fi movies so am not sure how it will work in class... thanks in adv for any info as his class teacher whilst keen to help has never used it before !

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Mon 26-Nov-12 14:19:00

I got it for DS1 (and have used it myself). If the school won't buy it you can get an educational discount with a letter from the head/senco.

In order for it to recognise your words you have to train it - this is usually reading a fairly long and complex text until it has learnt your voice. You also have to train it as you go along as it gets things wrong. DS1 had too many verbal tics at the time and was unable to read the text so he has never used it. I am not sure how it would work in the classroom. Despite being recommended several times it was never put on DS1's IEP. They preferred to teach him to touch type (well, the home keys).

btw I think it is fantastic. It 'knows' me and so I can speak at normal speed which is far faster than I can type.

3rdnparty Mon 26-Nov-12 17:56:21

Thanks Keepon, the head has said they can buy it (he's retiring so I guess isn't so fussed about budgetssmile) If it needs training I guess they'll need to let him bring the laptop home- will talk to them about that ....

We are also trying typing training but progress is glacial. Plan is to keep doing both - using the bbc one but may look at nessy which I've seen recommended on here.. thanks for info

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now