Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

help with interview questions for new TA for ds with ADHD

(4 Posts)
higherhill Sat 24-Nov-12 09:49:38

I have been told I can sit in the first part of the interviews for a new TA for my son which are being held on Monday and head has told me I can ask anything I like to get a feel for each candidate and to see what I make of them. There are only 3. Have you had to do this and what did you ask, also if you were the TA what should you know about the child etc. Will probably only have about 5 minutes or so to ask anything.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Sat 24-Nov-12 11:50:38

Gosh, lucky you! That's a progressive head you have. I'd just have a few fairly basic questions and concentrate on getting a feel for their personality. What sort of person would your DS respond well to? Someone calm, or animated, firm or gentle? See if you can get a feel for whether they are open minded and flexible or if they have already supported another child and feel they have all the answers already. Obviously having lots of strategies to call upon is an advantage, but matching them to the child is really important, what works for one doesn't always work for all! Would they be willing to work with you? It sounds like the school is already willing to work with you if you are being included in the interview process.

Maybe ask how they would deal with a specific incident? Although that may be unfair as I think it takes time to get to know a child and find out what works for them.

How about asking how they would communicate with you? A home/school diary can work really well if you are unlikely to see them at pick up, it depends what hours you have. A few words about how the day went, any high or low points and sharing strategies. Consistency of strategies between home and school can be useful, though requirements of behaviour at home can be more relaxed.

I'm a TA as well as a parent to a child with ASD. In interviews I have been told very little about the child for confidentiality reasons, which makes it difficult to know whether we would be a good match. I would like to ask the parents what they feel their child's strengths and weaknesses were and what motivates them, very useful for building a reward system. How quickly should rewards/consequences be implemented. Immediate or would a system of building up to a later reward work? Would your child need a separate behaviour system to the rest of the class. How much of my time would be behaviour management and how much educational support?

Good luck on Monday.

higherhill Sun 25-Nov-12 20:36:58

Thanks for the advice. Keeping everything crossed for tomorrow, hoping we can get someone who fits.

Shellywelly1973 Sun 25-Nov-12 22:52:05

Nothing to add, but best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now