Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Aspergers symptoms worse in Autumn?

(14 Posts)
SqueezyDiva Sat 24-Nov-12 03:31:53

My DS, now 11, has had a diagnosis for 3 years.

I have now realised that he is usually almost normal by the end of summer holidays and for first half if Autumn term. Then, seemingly like clockwork, his communication, tics and sensory difficulties worsen after October half term.

Anyone else notice this? Any views as to why?

shoppingbagsundereyes Sat 24-Nov-12 07:06:43

I taught secondary level for years and the latter half of the autumn term tended to be worse for all kids nt or not. It's generally the longest half term so they are really tired. I think wind and blowing leaves are difficult for people with sensory issues (my ds finds wind the most disturbing of all weather types) as well.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 24-Nov-12 07:14:07

Mine is happier in colder weather, so it's the summer term he finds stressful.
There is also the fact that being at school can be stressful in many different ways for our children, like walking an extended tightrope that needs all your concentration.
The longer you have to do it, the harder it becomes. By the second half of the Autumn term, the level of stress and exhaustion is cumulative.

TheLightPassenger Sat 24-Nov-12 08:36:22

could be the change in clocks/darkness, I think it is recognised people are more likely to feel tired once the hour goes back. also the Xmas half-term is long and has lots of events that distract from routine.

SqueezyDiva Sat 24-Nov-12 08:58:56

Interesting ideas. I do think the cumulative effect of 'surviving school' plays a role but it is strange that the Autumn half-term holiday is an apparent trigger. IYSWIM.

I wondered if he might be harbouring a hidden cold - germs which never quite ripen into a proper cold yet cause subtle discomforts and disturbances to which he is over-sensitive.

Ineedalife Sat 24-Nov-12 09:40:05

For us Autumn is always difficult. Dd3 has just settled each year with her teacher and classroom only to then change in september.

This yr has been a mix, she had a much better transition but is struggling with one teacher.

Sadly she is usually ill in the spring term so that wrecks that for her as well.

I do wonder though if she is ill because of the stress of the Autumn term.

SqueezyDiva Sat 24-Nov-12 11:13:06

That's interesting Ineedalife. Same possible scenario albeit at a different time of year. BTW, I need a life too winkgrin.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 24-Nov-12 11:18:42

I've got a life. I'd like to exchange it please, it isn't the one I ordered. smile

Ineedalife Sat 24-Nov-12 11:45:23

Lol @ sqeezy and nebulous grin

stillsmarting Sat 24-Nov-12 12:11:13

2nd half of the autumn term in Primary schools can also be very disrupted in the run-up to Christmas with plays to rehearse, carols to learn etc. My DS certainly had a worse time this half term and we used to keep him off school during the week before Christmas because he couldn't cope at all. The routine gradually breaks down and everyone gets excited.

wigglybeezer Sat 24-Nov-12 17:37:59

Falling vitamin D levels?

3b1g Sat 24-Nov-12 17:42:12

I think stillsmarting is right: we have found that anything that disrupts the routine (school plays, staff illness) makes things worse. Seasonally, I would say that the worst months are January and February. Maybe because his teacher has run out of patience and ideas by then...

3b1g Sat 24-Nov-12 17:43:42

Squeezy: is your DS is Y6? I am starting to worry already about the transition to secondary...

SqueezyDiva Sat 24-Nov-12 23:11:33

Ues 3B1g, he is Y6. I am not so worried about secondary but he is. We watched some lovely Youtube videos earlier today which reassured him a little.

He also lost a tooth this afternoon which I hope will calm him a bit. I will def try boost his magnesium and Vit D. Worth a try.

His teacher this year is less atuned to him than his Y5 teacher. Not much that can be done about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now