Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Taking ADHD Medication to Oz

(9 Posts)
Starxx Thu 22-Nov-12 16:25:09

Anyone done it? Im in such a pickle, my mind is just fried lol ...Ive been reading up on it but I still cant get my head round which form I need to fill in. I dont want to do the wrong one, I think we need a permit of some kind.


If anyone has any advice Id be grateful.

Bluebirdonmyshoulder Thu 22-Nov-12 17:38:26

Have you tried the Australian Embassy? They should be able to clarify for you.

stillsmarting Thu 22-Nov-12 18:36:15

We took DS to Australia in 2008 and 2009 when he was on Risperidone, which is an antipsychotic, and we just declared it at passport control. We put all the meds in a clear plastic bag and as long as they were prescription meds, and an appropriate quantity for the length of stay (therefore for personal use) there did not seem to be a problem.
DD has MS and when she went to Aus for 6 months in 2,000 she took a printout from her GP of all her meds and again showed them at Passport Control. (She was on a lot of meds).
Where did you get the information that you had to fill in a form? Were there no guidelines?

stillsmarting Thu 22-Nov-12 19:11:12

Just had another thoughtwhat about your airline?Qantas just gives advice as above (and all meds should be in cabin baggage). Are you emigrating or just going on holiday?

Starxx Fri 23-Nov-12 10:16:13

Its just a holiday for just over 2 weeks smile

I looked on the austrailian health government website and they had a list of the drugs and the one that my little boy is on is classed as a Psychotropic which according to this list means that we have to have permits and licence etc.....

Am I just reading too much into this (or reading it incorrectly)? Im scared to get there, have done it wrong and they not let us take the medication into the country cos it wont be a very nice holiday without his meds lol.

Star xx

stillsmarting Fri 23-Nov-12 12:27:59

As far as I am aware you can take prescription drugs in that are for personal use as above. Have you booked through a travel agent? They may well be able to help.
TBH when we got to Passport Control they weren't interested in our stash of drugs at all (we have been three times but DS was off meds the third time). They were more worried about all the people who were trying to bring food in despite the massive signs telling you to declare any food.
I can see why you are worried because Australia has a reputation for being picky, but I think licences are for importation.
Which bit are you going to (just interested because we love Australia).

stillsmarting Fri 23-Nov-12 12:42:44

Therapeutic Goods Administration
Freecall: 1800 020 653
Phone: 02 6232 8101
You could try this. If they can't help they should be able to tell you who to go to.

Starxx Fri 23-Nov-12 13:59:41

Thank you, will give it a try, will also get my friend (who we are going to stay with) on the case and see if she can confirm details for me.

We're off to Adelaide, my best mate emigrated there about 3 years ago now. (we've never been before).

Star xx

stillsmarting Fri 23-Nov-12 15:16:12

Not been to Adelaide, have been to the east coast and Melbourne. Hope you have a brilliant time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now