Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is the expected rate of progress (2 levels) between KS1 and KS2 the same for non-SEN and SEN dc?

(10 Posts)
KeepOnKeepingOn1 Wed 21-Nov-12 09:35:06

Maybe any teachers (ellen?) could help.

I have become aware that the head and BOG are working with different expectations. Non SEN dc are expected to make progress of 2 levels or 6 sub-levels or 12 APS. SEN kids are only expected to make 10 APS, 5 sub-levels or 1.2 levels progress between KS1 and KS2.

Is this backed up by official docs? I thought expected progress related to all dc. Expectation of failure by SEN kids. Is this different treatment as a result of SEN discrimination?

DS's old school has 100% of children on the SEN register not only failing to make level 4 but also 100% failure of adequate progress. Yet ofsted said in 2011 that SEN kids make similar progress.

Does anyone know where I can find some stats?

alison222 Wed 21-Nov-12 09:42:55

Bumping for some teachers to come along.
I have never heard that there was an official distinction for children with and without SEN in terms of progress.
I thought that the starting point might be different but that they expected to see the same rate of progress unless the child has a SN that actually makes this impossible - some do.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Wed 21-Nov-12 09:53:29

It is being reported as if these children were going to 'fail' anyway so it is OK as long as the majority of children that fail to meet national targets or rates of progress have SEN! It may also be the case that this is partly a consequence of the divergence of resources from SEN kids (eg 1:1 with TA) in order to run 'nurture' groups for borderline level 4 non SEN kids.

AgnesDiPesto Wed 21-Nov-12 09:56:52

I think its 2 levels - you might have to dig around on DFE website (from when it was DCSF)

I found this but know there were other docs around

It looks like expectation is 2 levels for KS1 to 2 but recognition some SEN may mean that progress at KS3 / 4 is slower.

But 2 levels is what the schools are judged on in statistics - you can look up statistics on DFE website too

Also if you look at Achievement for All on DFE website that showed AFA actually led in many cases to higher than expected progress.

moosemama Wed 21-Nov-12 10:00:34

I would be interested in the answer to this as well.

We raised this with ds's head recently and were told that the system is rubbish and doesn't really work for the majority of children, because progress isn't linear, children develop and improve in fits and starts and in different areas of the curriculum at different times. So they might make 2 levels in numeracy, but not in literacy or vice versa.

According to the head they are rehashing the system because it isn't helpful and just causes endless arguments, when in reality, each child will have their own pattern of progress and there is no one-size-fits-all profile.

Of course that didn't help him when dh pointed out that ds (who has always been considered to be good at maths and been comfortably in the top set since y1 and walked a level 3 in Y3) suddenly made zero progress across years 3 and 4 or why his y5 teachers levelled him and reassured us that he was comfortably headed for an upper 5, when this years teacher wanted to move him down a set within the first fortnight of the term and graded his practice SAT a 4C. hmm

Having moved him down a set and assured us he would be doing the top set work, just at a slower pace with less pressure, he has informed me he is using lower grade workbooks, the work is too easy and boring and he is finishing the classwork in a few minutes and spending the rest of the lesson reading. angry His, supposedly hour long, maths homework last weekend took less than ten minutes. They clearly think it's acceptable for him to get an average result, rather than meet his genuine potential purely because he has SEN. Of course because he would easily get an average result, it won't drag their results tables down or send up any red flags, so they aren't bothered. angry

Lougle Wed 21-Nov-12 10:08:04

"5:42 Adequate progress can be defined in a number of ways. It might, for instance,
be progress which:
-closes the attainment gap between the child and their peers
-prevents the attainment gap growing wider
-is similar to that of peers starting from the same attainment baseline, but less than that of the majority of peers
-matches or betters the child’s previous rate of progress
-ensures access to the full curriculum
-demonstrates an improvement in self-help, social or personal skills
-demonstrates improvements in the child’s behaviour." SEN Code of Practice

Lougle Wed 21-Nov-12 10:14:06

Here is a link to the "DfE: Children with Special Educational Needs: An Analysis - 2012". It gives progression statistics for 2010/11 in Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 4.

Lougle Wed 21-Nov-12 10:22:34

Chapter 3 of the above linked report deals with progress, and confirms that there is no difference in expectation between children with SEN and without.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Wed 21-Nov-12 10:43:15

Wow - lougle I am salivating over these stats and report!

They are exactly what I need to get the bastard fight for the rights of SEN children at my school.

Thanks smile

Lougle Wed 21-Nov-12 10:52:51

Pleasure smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now