Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

IEP meeting - What to expect

(3 Posts)
mrslaughan Tue 20-Nov-12 16:36:23

We are coming up to the IEP review at DS school. Never had one before...DS IEP was just presented to me, and to be honest I had so much on my plate, I just accepted it. But we are now meant to review that one, and then set new IEP targets for the next 6 months.
DS is at an independent school, and basically what I want to know is our "rights"....I think the SENCO does not have a good understanding of DS's learning difficulties, and is prone to therefore saying [what is a polite word for stupid] unhelpful things. I want to make sure the IEP is useful, helpful and achievable.
DH thinks its all pointless, as he has no faith that they are actually any good at measuring these things.....
so it will be interesting.
I am awaiting feedback on DS current IEP from his OT, and will want their feedback on any new targets.

MandiH69 Tue 20-Nov-12 16:56:25

Hi, we've has several of these meeting, my DS (4) has had numerous IEP's through nursery and now reception. I meet with his headteacher and class teacher regularly to discuss them and I make them go through all of his targets in fine detail. If there is something u don't agree with tell them and put your views in the comments box at the bottom before signing it. DS's school always give me his IEP to take away and read over the weekend before I sign it.

The school inclusion officer will see all comments and amend as necessary.

Hope this helps

alison222 Tue 20-Nov-12 17:39:00

I don't know if it is different at an independent school but the targets set are supposed to be
SMART - Specific, measurable, attainable,realistic and relevant and time based.
The SENCOP says that parents should be involved in the writing of them.
There should be a few targets say 3-5 so that they are not overwhelmed trying to do too much at a time.
The ones I have seen have a target, how you will decided if it has been attained, how it will be monitored, what input staff will need to have to do it, what modifications will be needed by staff to normal teaching to achieve it.
It also has on it what the pupil needs to do and if there is any parental involvement. It should then be signed and dated by all.

They can come in any format the school chooses I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now