Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Surely things should be better??

(4 Posts)
crappypatty Tue 20-Nov-12 13:35:42

ds 8 HFA has gone from zero support to 27 hrs.

Previously he has been passive in school, not interacted with his peers but pretty much got on with his work. He got distressed sometimes but not weekly and certainly not daily.

At home was a different matter, he would be distressed as soon as he got up in the morning and from 7-8 I would spend the hour calming him down. When he came out of school he would break down at first sight of me and he often went to bed worrying about school.

He has had support for a few weeks. I have no concerns regarding his 121 in my opinion she is perfect in every way. Calm, positive and passionate about helping him. He likes her. The first week was great he was positive about school for the first time ever. At home he is still positive about school and her but in school it has gone downhill.

He is having meltdowns often, a few a day. He is non compliant when he hasn't wanted to something (behavior we see but school have never).

My gut feeling is that he is expressing his internal feelings in school for the first time.

Any suggestions?

troutsprout Tue 20-Nov-12 13:50:15

He's being pecked now though isn't he? He's being made to do stuff/ interact/ engage. My ds would happily sit at the back of the room in primary doing nothing. Passive but in a world of his own mostly. I imagine a 1 2 1 can sometimes be very upsetting to the child when really they would prefer to just somehow be left alone , tolerate the classroom and get through the day
I'm guessing this is all just fallout . Should hopefully settle ( and improve) when he gets used to the new routine.

troutsprout Tue 20-Nov-12 13:50:47

He's being pecked now though isn't he? He's being made to do stuff/ interact/ engage. My ds would happily sit at the back of the room in primary doing nothing. Passive but in a world of his own mostly. I imagine a 1 2 1 can sometimes be very upsetting to the child when really they would prefer to just somehow be left alone , tolerate the classroom and get through the day
I'm guessing this is all just fallout . Should hopefully settle ( and improve) when he gets used to the new routine.

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 20-Nov-12 13:54:57

Hi

DS was very much like this. After attending a school where they ignored his needs, he developed alsorts of coping mechanisms to get by. Lying across his desk, putting his books away before they could be checked (if they were ever checked) etc. He was disengaged and passive at school

New school, new TA and his behaviour changed. I think this was largely because there was no way out. He had to do his work! It is probably a big intrusion into your son's private world but also being allowed to voice things he never has had the chance to at school before.

It can be tricky to manage but things do settle and it is better for schools to see these issues as they can then try and manage them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now