Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD2 is overtaking DD1 (asd)

(4 Posts)
chocjunkie Mon 19-Nov-12 20:34:58

DD2 is 23 months and so very quirky but pretty sure she is NT.. DD1 is almost 5. (Asd, severe s&l delay).

DD2's speech & language really is coming on. She is talking in short sentences, can also me e.g. what she did at nursery ('played sand' or 'played tina' ). Sings songs really well... very verbal and communicativ which is great! But she got to the point where she is actually talking more than DD1. It really hits home now how far behind DD1 is sad

Not sure what the point of this post is but just needed to share it with people who understand...

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 20:58:34

Be careful. I went through a phase of unconsciously denying dd answers to her questions because Ds didn't know or understand that particular concept yet. I didn't realise I was holding her back until it suddenly dawned on me.

It's hard isn't it?

But, - as she 'overtakes', she'll give a push from behind and for a while lead from the front, and as hard as it is, this phase will really help your older dd.

chocjunkie Mon 19-Nov-12 22:01:50

Oh star,I hope Dd2 will give Dd1 a push. Just never thought Dd2 would reach this point so soon.

TheTimeTravellersWife Mon 19-Nov-12 22:35:44

I have the same experience. DS NT is only just 4. He can now dress himself independently and go to the toilet, DD nearly 10 ASD and MLD can't. It is very hard seeing him reach milestones that she is still working towards, but they have a great relationship and they do play together reasonably well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now