Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Auditory Integeration Therapy-any advice please.

(6 Posts)
Ilovecake1 Mon 19-Nov-12 19:56:37

Hi, after reading up on mumsnet I am really considering taking my LO to be assessed and hopefully the 20 hours of therapy. She is very sensitive to certain noises (Hoover, singing, hates assembly due to nose etc) I am really hope this will make a difference. We are willing to travel anywhere in the UK..is there any centre considered the 'best' at AIT? Who has been and did it work well? Thank you for reading.

wildwood Tue 20-Nov-12 12:48:36

Hi, I was going to take my DS to the Sound and Light Therapy Centre in London. However, I spoke to his OT first and they gave me the Listening Program directly. It's free via your NHS OT, you get 10x CDs and your DS has a half hour session Mon - Fri at home for 10 weeks, then you do it again in reverse order, so 20 weeks in total. It's made a huge difference for us. It was difficult to engage him to start with but once I sorted his "distraction toys" out so he'd sit, it's worked great. I'd highly recommend talking to your OT first.

mumgoingcrazy Tue 20-Nov-12 13:17:29

We've done AIT, Therapeutic Listening and The Listening program. AIT didn't make much difference to us, Therapeutic Listening which was on the NHS was ok whilst we were on the program but once off lost 50% of new skills. For us The Listening program has bought DD2 on far more than the others, although we had to pay for it. I'm with wildwood on this one, The Listening is what has really helped DD2.

If you definately want to do AIT, Indigobell always used to recomend the Sound learning centre in London. We however did it at the sensory clinic in Reading and I wouldn't recommend them at all.

mumgoingcrazy Tue 20-Nov-12 13:18:10

The Listening program even blush

IndigoBelle Tue 20-Nov-12 14:49:16

Yes, it seems that the cheap one in Reading calls itself 'Auditory Integration Training' but actually isn't the same thing that the Sound Learning Centre offers.

I've done AIT at the SLC with all 3 of mine. So that's how good I think it is....

It's made a significant difference to all 3 of them.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 20-Nov-12 16:09:59

Welcome back, Indigo. Look, you are still being quoted ^^ smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now