Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

i don't know where to go to get support with dyspraxia

(4 Posts)
suzyjane01 Mon 19-Nov-12 19:50:30

my son is 12 years old and been diagnosed with dyspraxia, and dyslexic traits amoung other things. He does get support from a councilor, a child theropist and school are brilliant and do their best to help him. The thing is I need help with coping with him, I have 2 other boys as well to look after. Any idea who can help me .Please.

nothinginthefridge Mon 19-Nov-12 20:03:47

Hi suzy. I also have a DS who is 12 with dyspraxia amongst other things and it's tough going, especially with 2 siblings, 1 boy and 1 girl, who seem to delight in winding him up (he does the same tbh though).

If you are on facebook try searching dyspraxia connect. They post a lot of interesting articles, but I've never gone to them for support, so not sure how supportive they would be.

As for support in other areas, I'm not sure and I'd be interested to see who might have some ideas.

The only thing I have learnt is not to tackle DS about his behaviour when he is 'going off on one'. There's absolutely no point. You must wait until he's calmed down and then make sure there are some sanctions for his behaviour.

My DS is so strong I wouldn't be able to deal with him myself. Not sure if you're on your own (not sure from your post) how that would pan out, but it maybe that you need to learn some sort of holding technique (team teach I think it may be called).

Not sure that helps at all, but wine for you as if you're like me it's a necessity!

auntevil Tue 20-Nov-12 17:15:11

What kind of support are you looking for?
DS1 dyspraxia, dyslexia, SPD, hypermobility etc - gets no social support, but does get physical support and sensory support from physio and sensory integration with OT.
The dyspraxia org has a group finder for support network of other parents. You may find that your nearest group is close?
Unfortunately, most teachers, paeds etc see dyspraxia as more of a physical need rather than some of the social aspects. For social skills, you could ask the school what support they offer.
There are also some generalised SN groups - a bit like this board. You will find many of the symptoms have crossovers with other dx, and it can be very educational to see how another parent copes.

mrslaughan Tue 20-Nov-12 18:38:37

I have to agree in my limited experience about teachers SENCO's not understanding dyspraxia, they think if it purely as being about being clumsy/unco-ordinated, when in actual fact (for my DS anyway) that is not the biggest problem, it's the planning and sequencing that is his biggest difficulty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now