Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

auditory/frequency range hearing test?

(9 Posts)
DameMargotFountain Mon 19-Nov-12 17:01:24

has anyone got any recommendations for this?

let me try to explain, DD (dx ASD, 5yrs old)has recently been mishearing some words, eg she asked me what colour car her GF was driving, i replied 'red' and she burst out laughing and said 'what sort of colour is bed!'

so, her ASD might be inhibiting her reasoning, that the word i said would most likely be 'red' - and mentioning this to SALT, she wondered if a full hearing test might be in order, to measure if DD is missing certain frequencies.

she hates the vacuum cleaner, (DD, not SALT grin ), the food mixer, hand driers, but spent ages listening to light aircraft taking off and landing as she liked the noise confused

i've got an 'phone appt with our GP tomorrow, he's been brilliant at making referrals so far, so can anyone point me in the right direction as to the sort of thing i could be asking him about?

mrslaughan Mon 19-Nov-12 17:50:08

Dr chorbachi at great ormond st - amazing..... You can see him privately, or you could see if you can get a referral.

SallyBear Mon 19-Nov-12 18:34:42

Just say that she's missing stuff, it could be glue ear but you'd like a referral to Audiology for a hearing test. I would do that first before ENT referral. She needs to be tested to see where her hearing is on the audiogram. I don't know what KGH or NGH Audiology is like, as we've always used two services both in Oxford and local to us.
I would do that first before wondering if its an ASD trait. smile

DameMargotFountain Mon 19-Nov-12 18:47:56

yes, SALT asked about colds etc (probably thinking glue ear too) but she's no more snotty than your usual 5yr old germ pot grin

i meant the ASD trait could be responsible for her not assuming i'd said 'red' - this could be a bigger problem if it is this, as if her hearing is affected, it could have further implications as she gets older.

am not very good at this writing lark confused

SallyBear Mon 19-Nov-12 23:27:34

Still rule out the hearing test before thinking beyond that. smile

IndigoBelle Mon 19-Nov-12 23:43:19

She almost certainly does have a hearing problem like you describe.

This is what the many auditory therapies for kids with ASD address.

An audiologist didn't pick up DDs auditory problems at all - because the audiologist was only interested in whether she was deaf or not, which she wasn't.

She did however hear some frequencies much better than others, which meant she heard really badly. And she did have hyper sensitive hearing in some frequencies which meant some noises hurt her ears.

Oh, and my 2 DSs had the same problem as well.

I sorted all of their hearing problems via Auditory Integration Training. There are lots of other auditory therapies as well.

IndigoBelle Mon 19-Nov-12 23:45:36

Forgot to say, on the NHS the people who sometimes offer these auditory therapies are OTs.

(Either the listening program or therapeutic listening - I can't ever remember which.)

However if you can afford it it's certainly easier and quicker to go privately.....

SallyBear Tue 20-Nov-12 07:01:02

You still need to see an Audiologist get a thorough screen and see whether she is missing certain frequencies. I have two deaf children with hearing losses of 50-60dB across the frequency range. Obviously it all depends on the Audiologist that you see. We've been lucky as we've had three very good audiologists over the last 12 years.

DameMargotFountain Tue 20-Nov-12 13:15:09

thanks for the replies here, we've been on a 'parents of children with ASD' course today, and am more than ever convinced DD has major sensory processing and auditory difficulties, and i take on board everything said here too.

am going to take the call this afternoon and ask our GP to refer DD for in depth testing, and also speak to OT who based at CAMHS.

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now