Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Treehoure ASD ABA school rated outstanding

(13 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Mon 19-Nov-12 16:49:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 16:53:26

Not surprising really as they would have reams of 'evidence' of their effectiveness. Demonstrating this is their bread and butter.

Guess Ofsted didn't see any human robots then? grin

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 16:54:34

Actually, I'm gonna stick this on the main board. Why not?

HotheadPaisan Mon 19-Nov-12 16:55:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 16:58:23

Lol, yes I know. grin

silverfrog Mon 19-Nov-12 17:43:05

dd1's school was also rated outstanding earlier this year.

it possibly helped that the inspector that was sent had no clue about ABA at all, and so probably judged based on what she saw while she was there, rather than based on preconceived notions about robots etc.

needless to say, the school absolutely deserve the outstanding rating. they are fabulous.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 17:49:07

Ds' got outstanding but they criticised the Early Years for not having busy enough walls hmm. But to be fair it is supposed to be a SALT school, not a SPD or ASD school.

silverfrog Mon 19-Nov-12 17:53:09

hmm

dd1's last school was also rated outstanding, but got criticised for not taking a register each session (implication being the school would not now the whereabouts of all the pupils). there were 3 pupils, each in their own classroom. I think each tutor might have noticed if their only pupil was missing... hmm

inappropriatelyemployed Mon 19-Nov-12 19:43:33

That's good but look at all the truly shit mainstream schools that get labelled 'outstanding'. It is a truly devalued term in my eyes now.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 19:47:19

No Inappropriately. They recently announced an intention to award less outstandings.

Not that they necessarily have any real criteria or standardised way of doing this, but it IS harder to get outstanding. And this school got a full set of 1s for teaching using principles that educationalists are predominantly opposed to.

Lougle Mon 19-Nov-12 20:07:43

DD1's Special School got a 'Good' because behaviour wasn't outstanding. It's a s p e c i a l s c h o o l - you've gotta love it grin

inappropriatelyemployed Mon 19-Nov-12 20:16:11

Star that is precisely because it is a devalued term. I don't doubt that schools who get that attribution now have had to work much harder than schools like my son's old school who got it in 2007 and have not had a proper inspection since! The framework has changed so much - it is very unfair.

Additionally, too many special schools are labelled outstanding (apparently) so there is a drive to award less outstandings there too.

inappropriatelyemployed Mon 19-Nov-12 20:17:15

I'm not sure Ofsted would give two hoots about the principles of ABA if it works. They are looking for outcomes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now