Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Recommendations for good Ed Psychs in East Kent with experience of Aspergers?

(17 Posts)
PaintingRainbows Mon 19-Nov-12 13:15:36

Hi,
I'm trying to find a good Ed Psych in our area with experience of assessing children with Aspergers. DD has diagnosis but school is struggling with anxiety related behaviours and have been told they can't get a statement as she is too academically able and doesn't meet the criteria on the Appendix B statutory assessment form. I'm awaiting a call back from the NAS education rights service but if anyone has any personal experience/recommendations they could provide, that would be helpful.
Many thanks
smile

joanbyers Mon 19-Nov-12 13:25:24

What are you looking for from the EP? Advice, or help getting a statement?

nostoppingme Mon 19-Nov-12 13:35:22

Ruth Birnbaum and associates in London, not sure how far they travel but worth to contact them. Expensive and booked up but do try them if you are stuck. They are the best of the best.

email address is ruth@ruthbirnbaum.co.uk

PaintingRainbows Mon 19-Nov-12 13:41:20

Hi,
I'm looking for advice, I think. School have asked me to help them identify a good Ed Psych to use to assess DD's needs so they can make sure they are doing best for her. School were going to try for statement for secondary transfer but she does not fit the boxes on the Appendix B form for statutory assessment as she is very highly academically able; however her socio/emotional needs are huge.

joanbyers Mon 19-Nov-12 13:46:13

We met Katherine Sharkey www.psychologyineducation.com/ £590 for 3 hour meeting and report. She comes to South Ken. from oop north I think a day a week. If you send an email making it clear what your goals are then that might be a start.

PaintingRainbows Mon 19-Nov-12 13:49:17

Oh dear! repeating myself confused Sorry about that...I need sleep
School will pay but I think a London Ed Psych might be a little too expensive...

I would like to get a statement for DD. Is it possible to get one if they don't meet the official criteria?

PaintingRainbows Mon 19-Nov-12 14:00:22

Nostoppingme...just wondered, how expensive is 'expensive'? compared to the Ed Psych that Joanbyers mentioned?

joanbyers Mon 19-Nov-12 14:08:24

I know some EPs charge way more than that, more like £1500, although they would then visit the school and so on, so more involved. If you think about the hours involved and assume £100/hr, then you are not going to be far wrong.

Arithmeticulous Mon 19-Nov-12 14:11:41

Any recommendations for Surrey?

joanbyers Mon 19-Nov-12 14:13:29

Try Denise Thornton or Terri Hall.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 19-Nov-12 14:33:36

PR,

re this part of yuor comment:-

"...and doesn't meet the criteria on the Appendix B statutory assessment form"

What supposed criteria have they cited, it may well be that they are acting unlawfully. Blanket policies are not allowed. LEAs use all sorts of ways to try and absolve themselves of their legal responsibilities.

Only criteria that should be used for a statement is need of one.

Would suggest you seek independent advice from one of the charities out there like IPSEA and or SOSSEN.

Anyone who tells you that child cannot have a statement because said child is "too academically able" ought really to be ignored by yourself. There is nothing to actually stop you from personally applying for the statement itself; schools too can sit on such apps for ages without actioning it.

www.ipsea.org.uk

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 14:45:23

So what on earth does Appendix B state that makes her not fit the criteria?

PaintingRainbows Mon 19-Nov-12 21:42:04

Starlight , I've no idea. I had a look at the Appendix after i googled it but I think it is fact that she has made good academic progress despite all her struggles. With her Aspie brain, she can't not make academic progress iyswim
Attila , Those websites look good - thank you for those. I take my hat off to all those parents who have successfully navigated their way through the system but it's nice to know there is support out there.

I had heard that Statements are going to get harder to obtain in future...

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 21:48:43

Forget the academic stuff. Are her social and emotional difficulties a barrier to her learning?

PaintingRainbows Mon 19-Nov-12 22:23:26

Yes, she struggles with the most basic transitions - going into school and coming out, between lessons, assembly, change of teachers. Misses lesson time because is out of class distressed, very anxious with lots of fears; and this is in a school which has really pulled its act together that's why we are worried about secondary.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 22:25:52

Well barriers to learning are what you get statements for, not academic level.

PaintingRainbows Mon 19-Nov-12 22:54:49

That's very helpful. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now