Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD, supplements and herbal medicine

(6 Posts)
cjn27b Mon 19-Nov-12 12:07:07

Was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on B6, B12, magnesium, zinc, folic acid, probiotics, immune system boosters (mushrooms based?). I've readable bit, but clinical trials seem limited as is often the case for complimentary medicines. Anyone got any thoughts or tried anything?

MissShellShocked Mon 19-Nov-12 13:38:26

I've had very, very good results with huge doses of B12 and folate.

I Also use zinc, magnesium, omega, and probiotics.

If you can afford it I seriously recommend trying all of these types of things and seeing if they help your child.

Also try gluten free / dairy free.

You can get tested to see what stuff you need - but they're very expensive. I've spent £1500 on tests to find out we needed to be gluten free / dairy free + B12 and folate.

wildwood Tue 20-Nov-12 12:55:27

Hi, we use daily probiotics to help digestive performance, plus lots of Vit D for immune support (tests aren't expensive and most people in UK are seriously deficient in Vit D) and lots of magnesium via large doses of Epsom salts in DS daily bath to support digestive help and aid absorbtion of nutrients from the other foods and supplements he takes. Plus a good multi vit tonic.

EscapeInTheCity Tue 20-Nov-12 13:02:13

My DH (AS) has had herbal medicine prescribed and it made a hell of a different for him (And I am just speaking from my own side here).

ds2 who is currently assessed has just started to do something similar. It's still early days but it seems to make him much more relaxed at least.

cjn27b Tue 20-Nov-12 14:28:03

Thank you all. escape do you have any more details of which ones your DH is taking. We're currently using behaviour balance (B6, folic acid, magnesium, zinc, DMG and various other things), mutivits, EPA/DHA.

However DS1 (ASD) just keeps getting ill and when he's ill his behaviour is definately worse. DS2 (NT) doesn't get ill - well an annual cold and that's about it. It seems DS1's immune system is a mess. He has allergies, ezcema, gets fluid on his hips, endless chronic ear infections, gut trouble and so on. So we're now looking at ways to boost his immune system and probiotics to try and address the gut trouble. We're also starting vit b12. I'll get some Epsom salts too as I've heard about those from a few people.

Any other thoughts on what may help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Strongecoffeeismydrug Tue 20-Nov-12 15:29:36

Behaviour balance really made my son wild,never seen him so aggressive and hyperactive while taking that.
However eyeq fish oil works wonders on his vocal tics,we really see the difference in him if he doesn't take it every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now