Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Guardian article on autism

(21 Posts)
AgnesDiPesto Sun 18-Nov-12 21:47:47

here

ProcrastinatingPanda Sun 18-Nov-12 22:00:03

I hadn't realised severe epilepsy was common with autism.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 18-Nov-12 22:15:48

Wow, if only that initial passion, determination, high expectations and drive for educating our children had stayed with the NAS!

AgnesDiPesto Sun 18-Nov-12 22:27:37

Indeed!
And I thought it was really interesting they expected the State to get its act together and make NAS redundant within a few years

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 18-Nov-12 22:30:52

Instead the NAS and State just merged!

moondog Sun 18-Nov-12 22:35:51

As always, it's parents that change things, not state run establishments that generally exist only to perpetuate themselves.

inappropriatelyemployed Sun 18-Nov-12 22:42:43

I saw this article. This family were on that BBC programme about autism a while back - really interesting to hear their story on it and to hear from Lorna Wing. Worth watching if you can get hold if it. Can't remember what it was called.

I totally agree about the NAS. It's a huge monolithic organisation with substantial weight and influence which it could really use to change the culture but its been co-opted. This is the trouble with charities who want to have their voice heard - it's too easy to get flattered by being 'at the table' that they convince themselves that it's better to work with the system to change things!'

moondog Sun 18-Nov-12 22:44:36

Not of course that NAS is state run by very definitely part of the establishment with al lthe baggage that entails.

Dev9aug Sun 18-Nov-12 23:14:32

Only managed to read the article until it got to living arrangements, don't think I am ready or even want to think that far ahead in the future for ds1.

AgnesDiPesto Sun 18-Nov-12 23:53:59

AE you might be interested in this article by Brian Lamb debating whether charity contracts are preventing successful campaigning

Which is why if and when we ever find time to get ours going it has a chance of being effective precisely because we are a bunch of people with nothing to lose. He says this:

'Charity campaigning should be trying to innovate and reform public services rather than getting trapped into defending the status quo.'

Which I think is what we want to do

inappropriatelyemployed Sun 18-Nov-12 23:58:42

Thanks - will read that. I agree totally.

moondog Mon 19-Nov-12 07:10:20

The Lamb Inquiry was a withering attack on the status quo.
Top bloke, Brian Lamb.

saintlyjimjams Mon 19-Nov-12 09:14:05

I met one of the founding fathers (and Saskia) at a conference. He seemed a little frustrated by the changes to the NAS. Can I say that on a public forum? I hope so.

I let my NAS membership lapse years ago.

ouryve Mon 19-Nov-12 11:03:15

I'm beginning to think I get nothing out of my membership. We don't even have a local group. And I get sick of the phone calls asking for more money.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Nov-12 11:09:18

I joined for one year. I learned that they had nothing to offer me and didn't renew.

The trouble is though that that just perpetuates the status quo if all those who think it is shite just leave, rather than trying to get into decision-making roles iyswim.

ouryve Mon 19-Nov-12 12:03:32

One reason I HAVE continued my membership is that they do have people with autism in those roles (while some other large autism charities around the world have avoided taking that step). They do also have a lot of clout behind some important campaigns. I think there are some interesting smaller charities with their own perspectives though, which tend to be missed by the NAS.

RumoursOfAWhiteChristmas Mon 19-Nov-12 12:33:52

Hi I think the programme was called The Autism Puzzle.

moondog Mon 19-Nov-12 16:47:02

It's an important point that Star makes.
As Nixon said, do you have people in your tent pissing out or people outside your tent pissing in?

The question ius how much do you compromise over little things to achieve big ones and how does your integrity stand up to this over time?

bialystockandbloom Mon 19-Nov-12 20:25:55

One of our ABA therapists used to work with the (former) NAS chair's son. Just saying <whistles> wink

I agree though ouryve tis nice that people with autism are actually involved. A friend worked in the press office there for a while, and told me that they also employed several staff with ASD, and not just 'high functioning' people.

Tutak Tue 20-Nov-12 07:32:39

Hello - Saskia here - really interesting thread, I'm pleased article provoking debate. Will share it with my dad. If you want to see my (now ten-year old) documentary, The Autism Puzzle, there's a link buried in the Guardian article, toward the end.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 10:25:32

Oh hello Tutak, Thank you for the link. I missed the programme but would love to watch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now