Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Exclusion - does this sound right?

(10 Posts)
badgerparade Sun 18-Nov-12 17:25:36

Also posted in Education but would be grateful for any advice on this.
Ds has complex SEN and has been excluded twice at school. Following the first exclusion a re-integration meeting was arranged as advised on the exclusion letter. The latest letter did not mention any re-integration meeting but ds was spoken to in a meeting with 2 staff when he returned to school. He asked why his parents were not in the meeting like last time but was advised that the council had changed their procedures and that parents did not have to attend hmm. Is this likely? Surely parents should be present at this type of meeting? Would be grateful for any advice.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 18-Nov-12 17:46:54

I bet it wasn't formally recorded as an exlusion.

badgerparade Sun 18-Nov-12 17:53:52

Yes, it has been officially recorded. I think it will be down to 'best practice' or something and as the relationship is at breaking point now I expect they just didn't want to speak to us sad

auntevil Sun 18-Nov-12 18:16:30

How old is he badger? I would be worried that with complex SEN that without parental advice, he might agree to 'terms' that he really didn't understand.
Can you get the minutes from this meeting? - see who was there, what was said, and what was the agreed outcome - then go from there.

badgerparade Sun 18-Nov-12 18:40:47

He's 12. It will be very unlikely that minutes were even taken. Even if they were they would probably not be accurate as we have an issue currently with inaccurate minutes being taken at another meeting. He was basically told to try not to behave that way in the future.
He was very upset,crying etc. but they said that they didn't want him to be upset and that it was 'doing him a favour/in his best interests' hmm.

cornykatona Sun 18-Nov-12 19:23:59

doesn't sound right to me at all
can PP find out for you whether there actually has been a change in procedure?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 18-Nov-12 19:26:15

Does he have a Statement?.

IPSEA have information on exclusions on their website which is www.ipsea.org.uk. There are procedures that should be followed.

whatthewhatthebleep Sun 18-Nov-12 20:53:19

sounds all wrong and suspect to me.....
I'd be very angry if this had happened with my DS in this sort of circumstance.

I'd be concerned that this had been dealt with very wrongly and your DS getting upset and crying maybe made them retract the approach they had begun with...I would wonder that your DS is unable to really describe this situation he was actually put in...recall what was said, etc...what made him so upset, etc

Surely the conversation should have been more about what interventions, supports School should be suggesting to help and things your DS could try to do before a situation that led to exclusion happens for him again, etc?...isn't this supposed to be discussed and detailed and agreed between parents, DS and School together...so DS is supported and not feeling the punishment is on-going like this?
Surely this should be about a fresh slate iykwim...he's been excluded..now he's returned and things need addressed positively by School ...and you as parents should be involved with this too

Sorry this has happened for your DS. I hope you get things sorted out better for DS with School

badgerparade Sun 18-Nov-12 21:03:41

Yes he does have a sm (full-time support so incidents would be prevented).
Thanks whatthe - things slowly progressing in the search for another placement. Will probably update you in the week wink

Nigel1 Sun 18-Nov-12 22:04:50

From 1 Sept 2012 the exclusion procedures have changed. See the latest version here.

www.education.gov.uk/schools/pupilsupport/behaviour/exclusion/g00210521/statutory-guidance-regs-2012

They are like going back into the dark ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now