Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Semi-therotical question [wink]

(9 Posts)
Iceflower Sun 18-Nov-12 09:31:38

A school mum has a Y6 ds with PDA/ADHD, and just been issued with a proposed statement. Wonder of wonders, the LA have actually proposed a placement in MS with ASD unit without quibbling, with 17.5 hours support.

However, mum wants to reject it because of the uniform - white shirt, blazer and tie, etc, in favour of a MS whose uniform is a polo shirt and trousers. Her ds also has SPD, fine motor skills issues (can't do up buttons and certainly not a tie) and would not go to school if he had to wear the blazer and tie kaboodle.

Assuming her ds didn't mind standing out, etc etc, could he not wear the uniform citing disability discrimination, reasonable adjustment, etc?

sannaville Sun 18-Nov-12 09:45:06

I'd say that this should be possible. My dd starts reception next year AMD def will not wear a poloshirt as they itch her nor anything with buttons on! Do she will go in black leggings and white tshirt with school logo on. I didn't ask school if it was ok I'm just sending her like that smile

Iceflower Sun 18-Nov-12 10:18:13

Thanks Sana. I think secondary schools are allowed to insist on a uniform whereas it is optional in primary.

I'm interested in the answer as my ds will face the same choice in a year.

Of course, OT intervention could alleviate some of the issues grin

NoHaudinMaWheest Sun 18-Nov-12 13:07:47

My Ds is at ms secondary school with a blazer, tie etc uniform. He copes with most of it but is allowed to leave his shirt untucked. The school has a policy of adjusting uniform when any kind of special need requires it. I think it helps that there is a unit for students with physical disabilities some of whom have obvious needs for adjustment. He has a card specifying that he is allowed to have his shirt untucked which he can show to any teacher who challenges him. (In secondary he won't be known to all the staff.)

Ineedalife Sun 18-Nov-12 14:11:55

Mmmm, interesting. I would also love my Dd3 to go to a school that wears polo shirts and sweatshirts, as I know she is really going to struggle with shirts and a blazer.

I just think many children have enough to deal with, with going to a new school never mind being shoved into horrible unfamiliar clothing.

I hate formal school uniform anyway I think they are outdated. Dd3 cannot even do those little tiny buttons up so god knows how she is going to cope.

Think I might just keep her at homesmile

I dont envy anyone trying to make this decisionhmm

Lougle Sun 18-Nov-12 14:18:37

Well, adaptations can be made to clothing, too. For example, a clip on tie. False buttons with Velcro on the shirt.

I suspect that the Mum would have to demonstrate that the uniform is a hindrance to him because of his disability, not just because he doesn't like stiff blazers.

I'd be very cautious about turning down resourced provision for the sake of the uniform, though.

sannaville Sun 18-Nov-12 18:24:06

I wouldn't even get dd out the door if I made her wear buttons! I'd contact the school in good time to discuss it

cornykatona Sun 18-Nov-12 19:34:15

when my ds had that problem CAMHS suggested that school should allow him to modify his uniform. Can your friend ask a medical professional to support her with this?

Iceflower Sun 18-Nov-12 20:27:24

Thanks for your replies, in spite of my rubbish title grin.

My friend is adamant her ds will not even try a shirt so feels she has no choice. She actually approached me to ask if she had a right to MS if the LA want to name a unit. I did my best to guide her with my MN knowledge wink, but I agree with Lougle that she should be very cautious about turning down a resourced provision. She is feeling extremely stressed by all this and I would hate to add to it by pressing the point sad.

I don't envy her, and I'm dreading when it's my turn sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now