Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The homework I dreaded ....

(12 Posts)
frizzcat Sat 17-Nov-12 16:50:18

I hate homework, such a chore and ds is no fan... Is anyone?
He's yr3 and they've started getting literacy homework - last week they had to write about half term. This week came the homework challenge that I knew would come but dreaded - ds has to write a poem
So we wrote a list of all the things he liked so he could choose one he liked things like:
Christmas
Birthdays
Snow
Swimming
Aliens
Trains
The beach
Sealife .... The list goes on

So I ask ds which one he wants to write about - and he said "none, I want to write about floodlights".
So come Monday the CT will have a lovely poem about how floodlights are tall, are as bright as the sun and shine like diamonds. The 2nd verse goes on to say when he is an engineer he's going to build one taller than the sky, all the way to space so the aliens can see in the dark.........

I'm not a betting gal - but I'm gonna go all out here and bet the CT will never have seen a poem about floodlights or ever will again!

Inaflap Sat 17-Nov-12 16:56:38

Lovely. When flyingboy was in year 4 the DT school task was to make a working model of something that went up and down. The rest of the class produced planets, the sun, flowers that 'grew' out of flower pots. Flyingboy ... A toilet, with a loo brush that went up and down.. He then stood up in assembly and explained it all, telling them all 'when i'm a plumber you can come to me and I will fix your loos'. Oh well!

inappropriatelyemployed Sat 17-Nov-12 16:56:41

This is the sort of thing that makes me laugh about our kids! Love em, love em, love em. Such originality and individuality.

Ineedalife Sat 17-Nov-12 17:06:45

Fantastic minifrizz I like your stylegrin

Lougle Sat 17-Nov-12 17:40:31

I would hope the CT will be amazed that someone can bring such feeling to a traditionally flat subject smile

bialystockandbloom Sat 17-Nov-12 18:06:04

grin

IE I absolutely agree, I find this kind of thing charming and funny.

frizzcat Sat 17-Nov-12 18:20:34

Maybe he's a poetic genius

Bluebirdonmyshoulder Sat 17-Nov-12 18:31:15

Just trying to imagine a few famous poems re-written about floodlights...

"I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden floodlights;"

"Shall I compare thee to a floodlight?
Thou art more lovely and brighter"

"If I should die think only this of me
That there is some corner of a foreign field that is forever floodlit"

Well done to minifrizz for his originality and please can you share the final poem!

neverputasockinatoaster Sat 17-Nov-12 20:57:07

That boy has style!

Last year DS had to make a sock puppet. I asked him what he wanted to make. His answer was 'A Tassled Wobbegong please mummy.'

I spent hours on the net looking at pictures of the damn things - he made it and it won a prize.

marchduck Sat 17-Nov-12 21:49:28

This is lovely, and has cheered me up loads. I was a wee bit down today because I got a report in the post that was quite focused on negatives. This has reminded me that it can be a good thing for our DCs to see things differently from everybody else.
Well done mini frizzcat, and mini Inanflap and neverput- very creative!

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Sat 17-Nov-12 22:21:21

Just googled tasseled wobbegong smile What an amazing fish!

coff33pot Sat 17-Nov-12 23:56:55

brilliant! Please share the poem with us frizzcat smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now