Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Not sure what to buy..weighted belt or weighted lap blanket??

(8 Posts)
Ilovecake1 Sat 17-Nov-12 11:53:13

I am looking to buy one of these items but not sure what? I don't know if it will benefit her but willing to give anything a go. What have you found works best?

zzzzz Sat 17-Nov-12 12:05:24

I would buy a heavy bean bag toy. You can just buy what you fancy take stuffing out and replace with beans. <cheapskate>

Ilovecake1 Sat 17-Nov-12 13:17:57

Thanks zzzzzz, sounds like a good idea! Does your little one use them? Does it help with calming and concentration?

Lougle Sat 17-Nov-12 13:46:08

You can also make them yourself smile

porridgelover Sat 17-Nov-12 14:07:02

You can make them yourself.
What are you trying to achieve? Has your LO been assessed and finds heavy proprioceptive input to be calming?
I would probably go for the lap pad; can also be used on shoulders; used at night to calm to sleep. More flexible I would have thought.

Ilovecake1 Sat 17-Nov-12 14:30:13

She has a diagnosis of SPD but we don't have a OT ATM because off on sick...no one been employed during this time to cover!! As I am writing this down I really should phone and kick a bit of a fuss to see another ASAP!! But we tend to deal with things and just get on with helping her as the provisions here aren't good to say the least! She loves jumping and needs a lot of sensory feedback and very fidgety when sitting down doing homework. I was just thinking maybe one of the above would help her feel more grounded and less fidgety and hopefully better concentration when doing homework etc?!? Please tell me if you think I am completely wrong! Thank you

porridgelover Sat 17-Nov-12 14:57:13

Ilovecake....is it just for focusing on homework? If she gets a jump around the garden beforehand, does that help to extend her concentration time?
The weighted stuff is great in some circumstances. They tend to be expensive to buy so its a big investment on 'might work'. Could you borrow one to try, or make your own (lots of patterns on line like here)

Ilovecake1 Sun 18-Nov-12 08:22:12

We do have a indoor trampoline which she loves and I have sent her to jump about before homework...I think she is slightly better but not grounded and still very fidgety in her chair so to speak! I just feels that she needs something to keep her grounded on the seat. I will phone for an OT tomorrow and see if we can see another and hopefully they might have one we can borrow to see if its any help!! Thank you for posting the link..very grateful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now