Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Orthopaedic boots for winter - help needed

(19 Posts)
Jane2771 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:05:19

My 2year old DS has CP (spastic diplegia) and needs to wear orthopaedic boots. However, they are not suitable for outdoor play in the winter. He can't wear wellies but for the life of me I can't find anything else suitable except timberland.

I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be anything out there. Any one got any suggestions before I spend a fortune on the timberland boots.

beautifulgirls Fri 16-Nov-12 21:31:54

Have you looked at the kickers range at all? DD#3 has to wear high fitting boots and these seem far better for her than the orthopaedic ones she was in previously. Range here www.kickers.co.uk/c/kick-hi/kids?cm_re=Top+Nav-_-Flyout-_-Kick+Hi+Kids

BeeMom Fri 16-Nov-12 22:47:50

Does he wear AFOs or Piedro-type boots? I can point you toward some winter boots that will accommodate AFOs, and I can see if I can find the link I have for Piedro-style winter boots. Bee is a LOVER of snow, and being in Canada, that is a mixed blessing :/ However, she can't be up on her feet for long without her braces, so we have been doing the "hard to find" winter boots for a few years now.

madwomanintheattic Fri 16-Nov-12 22:52:53

Dd2 is the same. We've managed with sorel type boots or any that lace and tighten for support in Canada.

But to be honest, she just wore her Piedros year round in the UK, unless there was actually snow on the ground. We just bought a second pair of Piedros and made sure we kept one pair reasonably tidy...

Bee, I'd love to know which boots you use over AFOs - at the mo school are having to put her braces on as we're already into the snow <sigh> and they have 'forgotten' two days this week... And last week she came home in the snow in her braces and vans. <sigh> soaked.

BeeMom Fri 16-Nov-12 23:18:17

What size is she, madwoman? We have been using a Land's End boot that opens really wide, but they discontinued the style. I have been looking through Mountain Equipment Co-op and a bunch of the outdoor outfitters to try and find something similar.

I'd give my eye teeth to be able to get Piedros for Bee, but there is no way I could afford them for her. There is also another customisable boot, I just can't remember the manufacturer. I've asked my FB friends to see if anyone can jog my memory.

mymatemax Sat 17-Nov-12 00:15:07

ds2 wore his piedro all year, they are pretty robust.
He has a pair of cheap boots from Sportsdirect over his splints now. They had a pretty good range.
I've also bought hiking type boots from camping shops in the past, but ds2 has big feet, not sure if they'll do little sizes?

madwomanintheattic Sat 17-Nov-12 00:20:50

About a three I think?

It's the temperature range, to be honest - we need them to go down to about -20.

Am popping to MEC tomorrow (time for annual pilgrimage lol) so will have a look see...

BeeMom Sat 17-Nov-12 00:58:24

If you see anything, please let me know. How much support does she require - can she walk without her AFOs at all? Last year, Bee still could, so we would occasionally take the easy way out. Bee's warmest boots were her Sorels, but no go with braces, so when she went into the garden to play (which was mostly rolling around in the snow or tall kneeling anyways) she went in her Sorels.

We are in SW Ontario now, so the cold is not nearly so bad - but since Bee has poor circulation, I am all about the heavy footwear anyhow.

BeeMom Sat 17-Nov-12 01:20:55

madwoman If you do not have your heart set on colour, I understand the Geox boys' boots are good - they open right down to the foot (but the girls' styles don't - what is that all about?). I will let you know of any others that my friends on FB recommend...

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sat 17-Nov-12 06:13:19

we've used walking boots in the past, it really depends on how much support he needs and how long he will be wearing them for, have a look at sports direct they have quite a range here they also do snow boots if you could find a pair that offered enough support, reasonable prices too.

mycarscallednev Sat 17-Nov-12 07:52:04

www.johnflorence.com/ we get our boots from here and have had them sheepskin line them in the past - don't know if this helps at all?

Jane2771 Sat 17-Nov-12 08:08:08

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will have a look at the links. I think makers of orthopaedic boots are missing a trick here. He needs a good pair for everyday outdoor use at nursery - he moves up to a new room in jan and they take them out in all weather - I did explain he can't wear wellies but have been tearing my hair out trying to find something suitable.

It's good to have all your advice - I don't feel so alone in this knowing people are out there in a similar position to mesmile

HairyMaclary Sat 17-Nov-12 09:39:02

Hello, we have the same issue here, the best ones we have found to go over AFO's are riding boots called muckers boots. They are only ankle high but we've had two pairs now that are fur lined and will cope with a bit of snow and keep feet vaguely warm. They don't fit quite as well as the piedros or the adapted over the afo shoes so we only really used them for riding or if there was snow.

If anyone finds anything better please link - we could really do with some more!

HairyMaclary Sat 17-Nov-12 09:41:58

These are similar to the ones we had, although these are called yard boots. You need to try them on though so no good buying online!

www.equestrianclearance.com/matchmakers/harry_hall_fenton_boots_ladies_childs/index.html

mymatemax Sat 17-Nov-12 10:51:03

i do know a child with a prosthetic leg who's Mum has cut a pair of wellies & then attached a buckle fastening to the back. SHe has done it to both so that her child can wear a pair of wellies as couldnt get the wellies over the usual prosthetic shoe which is attached to the leg.
Very cheap & meant her dd could chose the pink wellies she wanted from the cheap shop!
Ok if you know anyone thats handy

BeeMom Sat 17-Nov-12 12:31:13

A friend of mine told me last night (and this is def more important for those of us who deal with the -20 C cold) that she bough Sorels for her son and took them to a shoemaker. He cut them right down the back to where the molded foot part starts and attached industrial strength hook/loop closure to keep them closed (and frankly, I think I might be able to do that myself). She takes out the felted insert and puts it over his AFO, then slides the whole assembly into the boot from the back. Her son is 9 and wears a Youth 4 and she says they have no problems with wet feet with this setup. They live north of Winnipeg, so there is no shortage of snow... and he is out playing it in as often as he can be.

madwomanintheattic Sun 18-Nov-12 22:13:39

Ooo, that sounds interesting...

She can cope without her AFOs, but we are supposed to be getting her to wear them all the time (have cut a deal with the physiatrist as she wasn't wearing them anywhere near enough) for a year... We are three weeks in, and failing miserably due to practicalities!

I spent most of last year trying to work out what riding/ equestrian boot types were called over here! Will check out your links and get some ideas, hairy.

madwomanintheattic Sun 18-Nov-12 22:16:51

Ah, they are called duck boots. grin similar design anyway. (Feel free to correct, bee!)

thereonthestair Mon 19-Nov-12 15:00:00

Jane. I have the same issues with my DS in nursery who wears AFOs. At the moment he has some piedros in a larger size over his AFOs for outside (he doesn't need piedros, but I can get the splints in, and some ricosta like those shown on this page

www.shoesgb.co.uk/browse/9731/ricosta-yani-boys-lace-up-boot

for everyday. This is the chain of shoe shops we get them from and they are fantasic. They also stock the sorel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now