Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADHD

(4 Posts)
Joweb Fri 16-Nov-12 18:27:20

I live in chafford hundred and have a son with ADHD and autistic traits. Is there anyone else with a child with the same needs nearby? He goes to a mainstream school and is statemented and is doing well... Eventually! Was nearly excluded at one point but we got through that thank god with a different approach from school staff and medication. My main concern is his ability to make friends which he struggles to do which is heartbreaking because all you want for your child is for them to be happy. Does anyone else have similar ecperiences?

madwomanintheattic Fri 16-Nov-12 18:40:07

Ds1 has same dx (with anxieties and phobias) but we are nowhere near you. grin

He is friends with the boy next door (although for the first month we lived here, ds hid behind the door and spied on him, and refused point plank to go outside, even if we went with him). This is a mixed blessing. I am glad he has a friend, but it makes for additional problems wrt social communication and 'how to play without demanding everyone uses your rules and refuse any deviation' type meltdowns... I do have to occasionally step in as I can hear him losing it completely and unnecessarily.

Have you tried scouts? Depending on the unit they can be very good at accepting difference.

Joweb Fri 16-Nov-12 19:03:08

Funny you should mention that! He just started going to beavers and loved it the first few times but then came out saying it was boring one week and I managed to get him to go again but since then he's refused to go back saying he thought it was supposed to be fun there. Debated whether I should make him go but he's had such a hard time at school that I want him to do something he enjoys. Not sure if that was the right thing or not!

madwomanintheattic Fri 16-Nov-12 22:20:15

They were obviously having a low patch - dark nights etc. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now