Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Friday night what's up with the flock

(111 Posts)
zzzzz Fri 16-Nov-12 17:23:43

Hello all

Ds did well this week, and dd is talking but everyone has been ill so I am a little fatigued.

Intrigued as to what MNHQ are up to. I can't help wondering why they don't communicate a little more. If they want to help surely they have a captive audience of sn mums who can tell them, what questions to ask and what would be useful?

I hope his doesn't turn into yet another wooly focused portal to nowhere.

Perhaps I'm just a grouch.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:28:50

Dunno. But they must have some ideas about promoting MN throught it's SN offer as I keep receiving emails ticking me off for my posts, where they have never been bothered before.

MNSN is afterall linked to from the Gov's own website as being a source of support.

I'm worried tbh. If MN sells the soul of MNSN to the Government we're all stuffed.

madwomanintheattic Fri 16-Nov-12 17:29:01

I did wonder if I'd missed something...

We are also having a <whisper> good week with ds1, after surprisingly fruitful ct and learning support meeting. <crosses fingers>

and I've booked dd2's adaptive ski programme for January, so apart from being skint and knackered, which comes with the territory, all good!

madwomanintheattic Fri 16-Nov-12 17:29:53

just don't log on to your mn email, star. It works for me... grin

Lougle Fri 16-Nov-12 17:34:01

You get emails star? Lucky you! MNHQ mean well, of course. I did email them to offer help if they'd like info/research, whatever.

It would be such a shame if an opportunity was missed.

I was thinking of starting a blog about SN -useless bits of SN legislation, current SN issues, etc. What do you think, to many already?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:35:09

AH good idea mad - never thought to do that. tbh, they are really winding me up. Suspect they want me to leave without saying so.

Getting a bit fed up of being told how to post and what to post and being guilt tripped by complete and utter nonsense and misnterpretation......grrrrr

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:37:28

I guess they only see the complaints lougle. It matters very much to me that my contributions are valuable and I can cope with a certain amount of getting it wrong, especially as the strongest critics are usually long-time MN posters, and actually I think it helps all of us.

I don't need thanks from MNHQ but I'm getting fed up with the criticism.

madwomanintheattic Fri 16-Nov-12 17:39:11

I think if you do it for personally cathartic reasons, and subsequently attract a following, then it's worthwhile... I think for MH reasons it might not be sensible to start one with great political hopes, unless you are feeling particularly robust, Lougle... grin

Lougle Fri 16-Nov-12 17:39:12

Ooooh and I'm still in the pit of despair :D DD2 has admitted now that her tummy only hurts when we talk about school. DD1 is home with liquid diarrhoea, vomiting and a temp. DD3 has been under the weather and lost her nerve at Montessori.

Thanks to our 1 year old puppy, I had to perform an arm reattachment to DD1's bedtime kitty, a right foreleg amputation on DD2's bedtime dog (we assessed the damage and decided doggy would function better with 3 legs) and bib removal and neck repair to DD3's bunny.

silverfrog Fri 16-Nov-12 17:39:58

wot they complaining about, Star?

I hadn't noticed you being particularly strident or forceful recently grin

Ineedalife Fri 16-Nov-12 17:41:07

Hi all, I have had an interesting week.

I threw the towel in at Guides because the Leader was taking the pisssad

I am going to help start a support group in my local area, I currently attend one in the next LA but we are going to expand it into my LA because there isnt one, so that will keep me busysmile.

Had Dd3's new IEP today, she has been moved to school action +, I guess because they have someone coming in from outside to work with her.

The IEP is good thoughsmile

Am looking for ward to a quietish weekend.

Hope you are all oksmile

madwomanintheattic Fri 16-Nov-12 17:41:32

You've got me all intrigued now, star. I might even have to sign in. I'm probably not noticeable to have attracted any attention tbh, although I did randomly note I'd been deleted the other day. Not sn though, I don't think... No idea what I said, anyway.

Lougle Fri 16-Nov-12 17:41:43

Political hopes grin

No, I was thinking more along the lines of just how many times do we post the same stuff, the same SEN CoP extract, the same process....so much easier to blog about it then just C&P..

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:43:11

Apparently I commented on the typing speed of one of the KIDS bunch when they came on, as is common on live webchats.

Turns out the representative has just one arm, and so they had to apologise on my behalf. They pointed this out to me as I challenged something else they were telling me off for.

moosemama Fri 16-Nov-12 17:43:31

Evening.

Haven't a clue what's going on, but it definitely seems like there's some sort of spotlight on us at the moment.

I am still very much in grouchland myself and no sign of it letting up any time soon. Not helped by a rather embarassing collapse in the local garden centre yesterday when I was supposed to be having a nice trip to look at the christmas decorations with the dcs. Fortunately my Mum was with us, so was able to handle the kids for me without them getting worried or upset.

Ds1 went to a massive careers fair on INSET day and came back with a determined idea that he no longer wants to be a games tester - he now wants to be .............. a gardener! confused He planted up six pansies for his school classroom and brought home a cutting as well and has apparently now decided he is a green fingered genius! grin Dh and I were musing over what we are going to do if the flipping cutting decides to keel over rather than thrive. Unfortunately, he planted it with some people who were just manning the stand temporarily and didn't have a clue what plant it was - so we have no hope of replacing the damn thing by stealth if it starts to look sickly.

Of course he is now constantly checking how dry the soil is and fretting about how much and when to water it and whether it is warm enough and getting enough sun. <sigh>

He has developed a new strange head-shaking tic, which he told me tonight is bothering him as it keeps jerking by itself and he can't stop it. sad I asked him if it was happening at school and he said yes - funny that, cos the school said he doesn't exhibit any tics or signs of stress at school at all. hmm

Oh - and some good news. He wanted to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks after hearing his siblings watched it while he was at the careers fair, so we watched it together after school this evening and he loved it. This might not sound like much to most people - but ds has been phobic of feature films and movies since he was a toddler and in the last year he has now managed to watch 5 films. grin

I am not going to go into the ridiculous farce that is ds1's school life at the moment, as that will just get me all riled up and I have resolved to try not to thing about it for the weekend.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:43:52

Ooh, good luck Ineed!

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:46:29

Lougle

'It would be such a shame if an opportunity was missed.'

Yes I agree. It would be fantastic. But I don't agree to have to sell our souls for it. I mean what is the point if to take the opportunity we have to 'tone down'!?

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Fri 16-Nov-12 17:46:37

Hi - mind if I join you? smile

I have been thinking what would have been valuable to me in this unwanted journey and what stuck me was that I feel most of the time as though I am groping in the dark having never done this before with only the vaguest idea of what is really going on and what I should do.

What I would really like is a resource we could upload to and other people could download from so that we could see anonymised real examples of the requests to assess, parental opinion, professional reports, draft statements, amendements requested, final statements, tribunal decisions etc. This stuff all belongs to us - why can't we share it?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours grin

hazeyjane Fri 16-Nov-12 17:48:37

Hello

sorry to hear about poorly dcs, although I'm so happy about your ddsmile

i get the grouchiness. hopefully the responses on the survey thread will spark up more of a discussion about what would actually be helpful.

oh and i am also a grouch because this has been one of those weeks, starting off with ds's emergency paed appointment, a meeting about ds's statement, preschool plans in the middle and finishing with ds throwing up everywhere just as we were about to sit down to our tea, urgh.

ok i have just had to go and clean up another pile of vomit, so have probably crossposted with lots of people!

zzzzz Fri 16-Nov-12 17:49:13

star I'm really shocked by that. Have you been being very contentious? If so, where?! shock

mad it's a strang sensation isn't it? Too scared to be happy.

lougle I don't know about the blog, if you'd enjoy it why not?

wine anyone?

madwomanintheattic Fri 16-Nov-12 17:50:54

That's an interesting idea, keepon... You mean like 'trackitt' does for immigration, so that in addition to resources, people could update where they were in the waiting list for whatever stakes... There'd be no hiding which LAs and PCTs were the worst, then, because you could sort the data by area, like they sort it by office of application...

Ha.

Sn trackitt.

zzzzz Fri 16-Nov-12 17:51:01

Wow too slow blush

silverfrog Fri 16-Nov-12 17:51:11

god, I'd love some wine

better still a gin.

sadly, any alcohol (even the barest sip) leads to instant hangover due to breastfeeding (been the same with all 3). <sigh>

a good stiff gin would counteract the bleeding ears nicely.

madwomanintheattic Fri 16-Nov-12 17:52:56

<waves to moose>

I'm not talking about it at all, zzzzzz. He has literally been a different child for three days. shock I don't want to jinx it by mentioning it! Been there before!

Lougle Fri 16-Nov-12 17:53:43

Oh dear, moose, that's tricky!

Star, how unfortunate, but to be honest, as there are around 60 babies born each year with limb loss and 700,000+ births, it isn't surprising that you didn't think about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now