Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

WWYD re accidental disclosure of young childs details

(6 Posts)

We attend therapy with our DC1, they burn a DVD showing the exercises we should do. We only went last week and hadn't realised until today that they in fact burnt the movies of another dozen children by mistake onto our DVD.

They want the DVD back.

WWYD? Destroy DVD/Post it or report them to the necessary bodies?

I'm quite angry with the situation as DH works in data management dealing with vulnerable children/adults and they have to jump through many hoops and face huge fines should mistakes be made, whereas this private therapy group are treating it as just being a bit careless.......

quoteunquote Fri 16-Nov-12 20:10:24

The therapist must belong to a governing organisation, contact them and ask what their policy is on this sort of thing.

Do not destroy it, It may be needed.

sneezecakesmum Sat 17-Nov-12 12:38:44

I think you are over reacting a bit. Unless there is sensitive material, such as children undressed on the disc? If its all very benign and it is a genuine mistake I would return it to them registered post with a very stiff letter saying how unprofessional you found it and if there should be any repeat of the incidence you would report them to their prof. body.

I was also in a work situation where vulnerable adults/child protection was a big part of my job. Also had to go through endless paperwork if necessary, but the criteria was did I genuinely feel there was an issue in safeguarding children? If we didn't then we just made a note and left it. If you feel this is the case then take it further.

cansu Sat 17-Nov-12 12:41:13

Honestly they made a mistake. Why would you want to turn it into a major incident? Explain that you are concerned that they need to be more careful and then return DVD. Is the child's name and address on the DVD? if they are doing a good job of helping your dc why would you want to make a huge fuss about someone making an error. Write a letter highlighting your concern and return it.

Lougle Sat 17-Nov-12 13:47:15

Return it.

ChristmasTreegles Sat 17-Nov-12 15:10:47

I agree with writing a letter addressing the concern and returning it. There's a paper trail regarding the mistake, and they'll most likely be more careful in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now