Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Would you move your child from Independant to state primary in Hertfordshire?

(5 Posts)
mrslaughan Thu 15-Nov-12 22:23:27

Starlight suggested I ask this question, and I am interested in the answers....though also kind of dreading them.....[hmmm]

zzzzz Thu 15-Nov-12 22:59:18

I don't know about Hertfordshire, but I think so much will depend on the individual school and the level of need your child shows.

We moved ds to a local primary at the beginning of year 1. They were perceived to be very inclusive, and had many other sn children there. The idea was that more help would be available in the state system.

For us it was an unmitigated disaster.

He managed back in prep school till he was 7 and we now home educated.

My ds has a severe language disorder.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Fri 16-Nov-12 08:43:40

Hmm, Herts. I've never heard anything good about state provision for SEN in Herts, in fact quite the contrary. The LA has the reputation for being dishonest and shite. Individual schools may be OK. Academies may be better than LA schools, but if your DC needs a statement you have to deal with the LA.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Nov-12 16:37:32

Have a look at www.thekingsschool.com/ They are very inclusive and supportive of SN but don't 'do' statements. That might sound like it isn't inclusive but they have basically decided that they really can't stand to deal with Herts LA, and statements tend to bring interference and idiots as well as accountability for daft interventions.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Nov-12 16:38:13

So OT and SALT would have to be done privately outside of school with perhaps them inputing just lightly into the classroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now