Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School(Independent or State) for HFA in Beckenham/Bromley- Sept 2013

(5 Posts)
T3009 Thu 15-Nov-12 22:12:55

Hi, has anyone had good experience and can recommend a good school in Beckenham Bromley area (Kent) for a HFA boy who will start recption in 2013 - we're looking at both State and Independent school.

Also, has anyone been successful with the LEA funding (full or partial) school fees for independent school. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

frizzcat Fri 16-Nov-12 11:44:10

I know one school in Bromley - its an independent and I'll pop back later with the name. I know LA's do fund after all other avenues have been explored or failed. Hopefully someone will be along with advice on that because I've never gone through that procedure

T3009 Fri 16-Nov-12 13:39:28

Hi, thanks for your response, I look forward to receive the name of the school in Bromley.

I hope someone can give me some advice in relation to LEA funding Independent school - even partial funding.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Nov-12 15:56:41

www.bastonhouseschool.org.uk/

www.riverstonschool.co.uk/

frizzcat Fri 16-Nov-12 16:23:02

Baston house - that's it we'll done Star. That's the one in Bromley, set up by a lady who has two sons on the spectrum, and were turned down for entry into suitable schools, so she set up her own.

Riverston is in Lee - it isn't SN independent, it's MS but with very good support in SN. The fees are between 3k to 5k dependant on the level of support a dc needs.

My advice would be, look at all the schools you have in mind, make appointments with SENCO's. A good senco will visit your ds in his pre-school environment too - to see of they can meet his needs. Both the schools mentioned will do this. Once you've made your decision then begin the fight, if you go to the LA saying state schools are not suitable without sufficient reason - you'll be shot down. You need to show why a state can't cope and a private/independent can in relation to your ds.
Also start a new thread asking specifically about how to go about funding for private and independent schools - that should get you more specific advice. Most people who look at this thread would automatically think it was just about Bromley/beckenham - and this part of your thread is more generic iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now