Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

what to do ??????

(9 Posts)
McChristmasPants2012 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:17:14

Hello I am a mum to a fantastic little boy who has austism.

There is problem at school with him at break and lunch time as part of his disability.

the school is fantastic and have explored every way they can to slove this problem with no sucess.

the next step is for him going onto the computers during these time, i really don't want this for him, it breaks my heart to think of him alone during these time ( even if he will be happy doing this)

i have a meeting ( yet again) with the school so what cna anyone suggest

lorisparkle Thu 15-Nov-12 23:15:22

Could they have a small 'computer club' for your DS and others or set up a small friendship group doing an activity with a TA during the break / lunch period?

Not sure what issues he is facing but could a social story help?

Could they split the time so some of it is on the computer and the rest in a 'structured /social' situation?

Not sure how he copes for the rest of the day but some 'alone' time might benefit him if he finds social situations difficult.

Hope you find a solution that suits everyone

HotheadPaisan Thu 15-Nov-12 23:27:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coff33pot Fri 16-Nov-12 00:50:03

What are the issues? And how old is he?

Does he have a TA supporting him and play/lunch?
Is it because it is both unstructured and busy?

Could he be allowed to go for lunch early by say 10 minutes with a group of 3 or 4 and a TA so that he hasnt got to que or wait in a busy hall. He would also then be out 10 mins early to run around before the rest aswell and back in 10 mins early for some down time/quiet time in the class before they come back.

At least he will still be out with others but also have a little free time to himself.

If the whole playtime is too much can his play be altered for a different time perhaps with a friend of his choice?

Is he perhaps overloaded due to not enough excercise so playtimes is a mad rush to get himself sensory regulated. Perhaps a couple of short breaks between more heavy thinking work as down time either excercise or quiet at a work station away from class so that its not a mad rush around and playtime.

Only guessing really as dont know circumstances smile

McChristmasPants2012 Sat 17-Nov-12 11:01:55

He is MS school, and they have tried a few things ( not quite sure) he is 6.

the issues is that he get violent and aggressive on what starts as a normal games, but he doesn't know when to stop.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Sat 17-Nov-12 13:27:17

If he prefers to go out to play, then their first step should be 1:1 support during playtimes, not restricting him to an indoor activity.

coff33pot Sat 17-Nov-12 13:53:11

If computers are what he enjoys then perhaps they can use this as a reward for not losing it but coming to the TA for support instead? A sticker could be put towards 5 mins free time on the computer.

sounds like he needs small social groups. Ds finds the whole playground thing overwhelming and sometimes just goes back in and chooses a friend to come in with him.

coff33pot Sat 17-Nov-12 13:55:18

really you need to ask the school to tell you exactly what they have put in place for him.

Maybe the autism advisory service can advise them of more ideas x

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 18-Nov-12 19:11:05

I will speak to his teacher

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now