Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is behaviour specialist right ?

(16 Posts)
ethel1 Thu 15-Nov-12 17:36:22

A young adult with a mental age of 3 won't sit still in special needs collage canteen, she messes with s&p tries to take food ,won't sit still etc. not hurting anybody,just being a pain.

The Behaviour nurse has sat young adult in kitchen away from canteen with just her support workers for the last 2.5 weeks (to focus young adults attention) without consulting parents.

What would you do ,is she right or wrong ?

OwlLady Thu 15-Nov-12 17:37:48

surely they should be consulting the parents about everything? is the girl ina residential home or still at home with mum and dad?

ethel1 Thu 15-Nov-12 17:43:43

still at home

OwlLady Thu 15-Nov-12 17:46:16

I thought parents should be informed of any exterior agencies being involved with their child within an educational setting unless it was due to a child protection issue (which this isn't!)

OwlLady Thu 15-Nov-12 17:46:45

if it was my daughter being excluded within an 'inclusive' environment I would be questioning why she was there tbh

AgentProvocateur Thu 15-Nov-12 17:58:35

I won't comment in the particular situation, but if your DD is 18, she is "presumed" to have capacity and technically you have no right to a say, no matter how ridiculous it is (and it clearly is in your situation). If you want to be consulted/kept in the loop officially in future - and not depend on the goodwill of staff to tell you things - you will have to go to court and get welfare guardianship (that's what it's called in Scotland. Not sure what English equivalent is)

You will get legal aid for this, regardless of your income, and it sounds very much like it would be straightforward in your case.

AgentProvocateur Thu 15-Nov-12 17:59:12

And if your DD is under 18, ignore my last post.

OwlLady Thu 15-Nov-12 18:27:50

you are joking

when our children are 18 we lose the ability to be their legal guardian??

ethel1 Thu 15-Nov-12 18:44:48

Hi Agentprovocateur yes she is over 18 and and luckley I can talk to the collage.
But what annoys me is that the young adult has no idea why she has been put there and probably sees it as a punishment .

Yes. Its complicated

OwlLady Thu 15-Nov-12 18:45:51

oh ethel sad sad

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 15-Nov-12 19:59:53

How did you find out?

ethel1 Thu 15-Nov-12 20:27:45

We had a note to say she wasn't drinking at collage ,so when I phoned for more information I found out then. The behavior nurse had phoned me the week before and said there were some issues at collage but nothing to worry about,so foolishly I believed her.
The nurse has since told me they don't live to give negative information. I did say that prehaps parents might feel inadaquate when every thing in wonderful at collage and slightly uncontrollable at home.(after 19 years I can face the truth, and its nice to know that its not just me who has no control .
We have noticed that when we went out this weekend young adult wanted to sit on her own ,and we had a battle to get her to sit with us.

Lougle Thu 15-Nov-12 20:44:18

Well, wrong, I think, because a professional kitchen isn't a suitable environment to teach table skills. I would want to know what the policies of the college say?

Also, as she is a young adult, you surely either do have a right to the information, or you don't? It can't be both.

I would have thought that more appropriate steps would be to remove the salt and pepper from her table. Make sure that there is adequate space between the young woman and other diners. Give appropriate warnings about sitting still, etc.

ethel1 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:22:18

Hi Lougle I agree with you that the collage should make appropriate steps.
We have discovered as parents we have no rights over what our daughter does now she is 19. If she does not want to go out of the house we have no rights to make her,
We can't have power of attorney as she has not got the mental capcity to give us this role.
We think we can apply to be her Deputy's through the COP but haven't worked out how yet,I expect that is the same as guardianship in Scotland.

Lougle Thu 15-Nov-12 21:33:38

Ok, so fees are detailed here Seems it's £400 for the initial application, then £500 for the hearing itself. Certain income criteria will allow remission of fees.

This is the guidance form for making an application through the Court of Protection.

Here is the link to all the forms you will need.

Hope that helps smile

ethel1 Thu 15-Nov-12 22:51:41

Thank you Lougle I think I will have to read it in the morning to understand if I have to pay we're over the amount but dd is on EESA.
It does seem alot of money to pay so we can carry on having a say in her future.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: