Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Controlled assesments

(5 Posts)
hoxtonbabe Thu 15-Nov-12 17:21:09

Hi All,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

DS came home saying he had a controlled assesment, he mentioned that it was for English. it was going on throughout this week and end of last week and he thought he was prepping for the main assesment, however he said that it was based on what they had been doing all week. He said he had written up what they had been doing in the week, and then today (the last day) the TA changed his conclusion "so it would make sense"

I dont know how this works but that doesnt sound right to me, as she is tampering with his work which considering he has an SLCN it is important we get a true overview of what he can undersand, equally I asked if they allowed him the 25% extra time (as per his statement) and he said no and was not asked if he needed it.

thanks

Ineedalife Thu 15-Nov-12 18:34:20

Did he think it was a practice hoxton?

I think if it was the real assessment his TA shouldnt be telling him what to write.

But then again Dd2's teacher gave them chance to prep for theirs at home, Dd2 didnt tell me it was for an exam and I helped her loadsblush.

It is the teachers call tbh but I would be reminding them that your Ds is entitled to extra time in case they "forget" again.

And no I am not cynical at allgrin

Good luck

hoxtonbabe Thu 15-Nov-12 19:24:17

He thought the last couple sessions were, but knew today was the real deal. Either way I'm pretty sure LSA should not be changing what he has written to make it make sense as this is all part and parcel of his needs and all adds towards my issue I had at the appeal about inflating his grades...no doubt solicitor will have to address this, as they are not only misleading people about what he understands it will also mislead what provision he needs. Oh the bloody joys!

Ineedalife Thu 15-Nov-12 19:40:23

Oh yes I know this one well.

Dd3's marks were inflated at yr 2 and then I moved her to another school who have been trying to sort it out ever since.

pinkorkid Fri 16-Nov-12 18:59:29

Also if this is an external exam, I'm pretty sure the LSA is flagrantly breaking the rules and the school could be fined. Is this English gcse or something else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now