Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Transition review on year 1, help

(1 Post)
GretaGa Thu 15-Nov-12 13:36:28

Hi
Just had my ds's parents evening, he is in yr 1 and he is ASD, ADHD and learning difficulties. My son's school has a communication and interaction centre, where he is able to access lots of 1 on 1 help and he also gets speech therapy twice a week which has helped him tremendously. I was told by the head of the C&I centre that my son has a transition review in April which is part of the statement and part of moving from key stage 1 to key stage 2. My son academically is at least a year behind and his attention span is limited. On the plus side he is a happy and fairly placid child and if he gets stressed will cry, he is also making friendships but just with girls. The head of the C&I centre mentioned 2 local special needs schools which threw me as I thought we were ok, the head of the C&I centre said we were ok at the moment but academically they were worried about my sons cognitive abilities/intelligence and how he was worried that the gap between my son and his peers would get bigger and how my son would cope with this and how a special needs school might fit his needs better. I feel so confused and upset, this meeting isn't until April so I feel in limbo until then. I thought the point of C&I centres were to help children like mine but are my sons problems too much for them and would a special needs school be better. Any advice much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now