Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Number reversals in a 10yr old!

(8 Posts)
Ineedalife Wed 14-Nov-12 21:30:43

I thought Dd3 had grown out of this but apparently not.

I have really taken my eye off the ball with her lately and now it's biting me on the bum.

Yesterday she was doing some much hated maths homework and she wrote an answer as 37, the answer was 73 and when I told her what she had done she shrugged it off and said "It's just the other way round"

She didnt seem to understand that it would be wrong if she gave it in like thatconfused

She is a leftie and has co ordination issues, poor motor skills, poor visual perception, oh and ASD for those who dont already know hersmile

Bless her I dont know whether to panic or nothmm

Anyone got any advice for me pleasesmile

Ineedalife Wed 14-Nov-12 22:10:06

Shameless bumpgrin

I thought about posting this on the primary board for mrz.

Am off to bed now but might repost tomorrow.

proudmum74 Thu 15-Nov-12 07:29:44

Hi - this sounds so familiar, but this time in me rather than DD! blush

I used to do this all the time, and still do when I'm tired or am writing down a number that I hear but can't see. I'm dyslexic, so often confuse words, numbers, spellings, directions etc. when tired or stressed.

I'm a child of the 70s, so wasn't diagnosed until my mid 20s, by which point I'd already developed my own strategies to cope.

In terms of what you can do to help, I’d suggest asking them to test for dyslexia. I’d also see if she’s a visual learner, as for me the problem is far more pronounced when communication is purely oral.

The really ironic thing in all of this is that I’m now a professional mathematician! grin I just make sure that I can always see the numbers that I’m working with, and if someone is telling me a number I make sure that I write it down, forget what they’ve just said to me, and then read the number back to them from scratch (in the past I was reciting the number back that I’d heard rather than actually written, so struggled to see why the thing I'd written down was wrong IYSWIM)

HTH

Ineedalife Thu 15-Nov-12 08:32:13

Thanks proud ,wow I am impressed that you overcame those difficulties to become a mathematicianshock

Dd3 has seen a Behavioural Optometrist and was prescribed yellow tints in her glasses. Tbf he didnt do the full workout because he was trying to keep his costs down for us, we have used him for many years and he is a great person.

Dd2 is dyslexic but she is very different to Dd3.

I think you are right though, Dd3 does show many signs of it.

I need to go into school again and talk to them.

Thankyou for replyingsmile

sannaville Thu 15-Nov-12 14:12:42

Hi ineeda my dd1 is younger than your dd as she's only 8.7 but she does this frequently with numbers and she also says thirteen instead of thirty, sixteen instead of sixty etc. She will think 68 but write 86. Her schools pretty good AMD told me she's average in maths but ill be mentioning this on parents eve nxt week.

sannaville Thu 15-Nov-12 14:13:40

Forgot to add my dd is a leftie as well and has ADHD

ArthurPewty Thu 15-Nov-12 14:15:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArthurPewty Thu 15-Nov-12 14:16:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now