Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD and trampolines/trampettes

(9 Posts)
leosayershair Wed 14-Nov-12 21:18:35

DS2 is 4 and ASD, I've been told a trampoline can help with self regulation.

Don't have much of a garden (more back yard) so it will need to be one to use indoors.

Have been told exercise trampette is probably better than a child's trampette as more sturdy/bouncy bit more tense IYKWIM. Don't know how true that is.

Any recommendations & how has it worked for you would be gratefully received.

coppertop Wed 14-Nov-12 21:29:23

My ds had one similar to this one.

It really helped him to calm down when he was at his most hyper.

I liked the fact that it had a handle, as I think it made him a little less likely to fall off it when he was bouncing a lot. It lasted well too. I only got rid of it when he eventually outgrew it.

BeeMom Wed 14-Nov-12 23:06:24

Our trampoline was the BEST purchase I ever made, to the point that I am going to buy a trampette for inside the house in the winter - I have been known to send one child or the other out for a bounce when they are having a rough time.

One caveat - if either of your DCs has any sort of motor skill challenges (especially with muscle tone) make sure that your GP or any PT who is working with them is OK with it. There might be restrictions (in a high tone child, it can increase spasticity, in a low tone child, there might be a concern for injury).

With that said, Bee has mixed tone (high in her limbs, low in her core) and we got clearance for her to use the trampoline. She sits or lies on it while her brother bounces her.

leosayershair Thu 15-Nov-12 03:32:22

Thanks for the replies

coppertop how easy was it to put together, bit worried about the elastic string things. Also how old was your DS when he outgrew it?

Beemom good point about the motor skills, although DS2 has no challenges, DS1 has Cerebral Palsy but will no doubt want to bounce on his brother's trampoline so maybe some advice from his PT before I purchase, which is something I hadn't thought about.

Wish I could have one in the garden but that isn't an option, would love a good bounce before work!

troutsprout Thu 15-Nov-12 06:44:15

We have an exercise style trampette as ds and dd too big for the kids ones with handles ( they broke it) and we don't have a garden.
It's been good although both kids have missed the bounce if the softer one a bit.
It came from amazon... Think it was about 40 quid... I just went on reviews.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Thu 15-Nov-12 08:40:14

I bought a trampette once the DC grew out of the little one with a handle and it was too firm. They just couldn't get any bounce out of it. It was a supertramp one, but I think they are designed for adults at an adult weight to gently jog on. Maybe try one out before you spend your money, ours was a waste after the very popular children's one with a handle. It could be that different makes are different springiness, and the more expensive the firmer they are.

Davros Thu 15-Nov-12 09:24:33

As others have said, a trempette isn's as bouncy (good you might think!) so doesn't give enough sensory feedback. We had a kids' trampoline with a handle and, although the elastics were a pain, we did manage to replace them several times with a lot of grunting and straining! If you buy at ELC or ToysRus you might find it easier to get spare parts, worth checking as you are likely to need them.
I have been to many talks/conferences/seminars etc about Challenging Behaviour, one by Dr Dougal Hare who was a colleague of Emerson who is a CB guru. He said that trampolining is proven to be the best way to reduce anxiety, above all other methods!!! I probably shouldn't quote him as it was a good few years ago but the credentials are worth mentioning.
Good luck!

troutsprout Thu 15-Nov-12 10:20:56

Davros is right ... It's not as popular without the bigger bounce.
I wonder if there are sturdy versions of the kids ones somewhere?
<< goes off to google it>>

leosayershair Thu 15-Nov-12 19:56:42

Thanks for all the advice - around what age do they grow out of the toddler one? DS2 is a slight (but tallish) 4 year old but DS1 is a chunky 6 year old, wouldn't want him to break his brother's toy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now