Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Basic Q - who states preference for school first - me or LA?

(15 Posts)
messmonster Wed 14-Nov-12 15:07:50

Just been in a meeting about DD's start at primary school next year. She has a Statement.

Was told that I would be receiving a notification from my LA shortly with their suggested school for my DD. Their suggestion will be based on our postcode and their assessment of her needs based on her current statement. This will pre-date the transitional Annual Review meeting.

I always thought that it was parents who asked for the school they wanted to be named in Part 4 at statement review time - had no idea that the LA would get to "go first" confused.

Am I wrong?

PipinJo Wed 14-Nov-12 15:10:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

messmonster Wed 14-Nov-12 15:11:39

p.s. I realise the 2 aren't mutually exclusive in that I can ask for the school I want at the transitional review, just never heard of this process of LA making their suggestion first?

Lougle Wed 14-Nov-12 15:12:15

You state the school you want her to be placed in. However, if the school you want is not the nearest school that can meet her needs, you will have to provide transport.

messmonster Wed 14-Nov-12 15:13:20

x-post Pipin What do you mean about me getting it in writing to them - you mean I should write the SEN team at LA now, stating preference before they do this postcode/needs exercise?

messmonster Wed 14-Nov-12 15:16:17

I want her in my village MS primary. I believe they will name SS that the SEN officer I talk to ALWAYS mentions to me. But, I just had no idea they would do this prior to the AR.

Lougle Wed 14-Nov-12 15:25:21

I think you are getting confused smile

They can suggest as school to you.

They can only name a school on Part 4 of the Statement after consulting you, and the law states that they must allow your DD to go to MS school unless it is incompatible with the efficient education of other children.

Having said that, it would be best if you prepare reasons why you think MS school would suit her better, and also bear in mind that if you turn down SS now, you will have a huge fight to get it later (that's not a threat grin just the reality of the pressure on places SS have, and that most children who don't get in at Yr R have to wait until Yr3 to get a place).

messmonster Wed 14-Nov-12 15:36:01

Thanks Lougle thought I might be smile. Got a lot on my plate at the moment (non-DD related) and so was a bit thrown when the meeting didn't go as I planned.

Get it now - thanks for the clarification.

messmonster Wed 14-Nov-12 15:36:27

* got it

PipinJo Wed 14-Nov-12 16:28:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lougle Wed 14-Nov-12 16:39:29

Can I urge you, if you haven't already visited the Special School the statementing officer always mentions to you, that you do so?

Lots of people have a really stereotyped view of SS, and the reality can be somewhat different.

Also, my DD2 could have gone to our MS infant school. Now, knowing how hard it is to even get a phonecall about DD2, who is struggling with Yr R-Yr 1 transistion (and has been out of school since half-term), I shudder when I think of DD1 there.

messmonster Wed 14-Nov-12 17:32:26

Thanks both. Pipin we did SA when DD was 2 so didn't name a school. But I will now write to the SEN Officer to confirm in writing what we'd like.

Lougle we have looked at the SS twice and I've had a couple of threads on MN (here and in Primary Ed) about trying to choose between MS and SS because I've really struggled with the decision. Where we've got to is that we'd like to try DD in MS because, until we try it, we won't know if it works.

We are also very fortunate in that from what the SS told me, in-year admissions are not usually a problem.

MS definitely seems like the harder option in terms of trying to get the support in place and making sure the statemented provision is going to be delivered etc but we feel we need to give it a go.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Wed 14-Nov-12 19:29:06

Messmonster, for what it's worth I think it's easier to transfer to SS from MS if things are truly not working than to transfer the other way. If your DD goes straight to SS, you will feel so safe that you wouldn't want to transfer to MS, SS becomes part of your mindset.

Lougle Wed 14-Nov-12 20:15:34

Sorry about that, messmonster - I hadn't seen your other threads smile

messmonster Wed 14-Nov-12 20:39:22

No need to apologise Lougle smile. I think you and JimJams advised me on one of the threads (I nc'd for it cos it was on the main board) and I'm always very grateful for the input from people who've trodden the path before.

I've had my first proper insight today of what it might be like the get DD the help she will need in school and I'm feeling a bit crushed already - I'm not sure I've got the stamina for this <weakling>.

Thanks EJ, I agree with what you say, I think it would be hard for us, and esp DD, to transfer the other way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now