Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What happens if DS doesn't co-operate with assesments.

(10 Posts)
JustPondering Wed 14-Nov-12 14:14:53

DS is 18 months old and is suspected of having autism. Special needs pre-school are coming out tomorrow to do an initial assesment. Problem is I don't think he will co-operate, my health visitor has just been out to assess DS and he wouldn't co-operate at all, screamed the whole time she was here, wouldn't let her look at him or come anywhere near him, chucked the blocks that she placed near him and the rattle. All smiles now she has left.

What will happen if he is the same with the nursery? I don't see how they can assess his skills when he won't even tolerate them being near him sad

Ineedalife Wed 14-Nov-12 14:58:46

Hi just, I wouldnt worry too much they are probably used to itsmile

I have worked with lots of Dc's with special needs and regularly get things thrown at me and get shouted at.

They will understand that he needs to trust them before they will be able to work with him.

They will probably ask you lots of questions.

Make sure you ask any questions that you have. Find out about their settling in procedures.

good lucksmile

Catsdontcare Wed 14-Nov-12 15:03:07

Don't worry just step back and let it happen. I think it is important and helpful actually for them to see how your ds is in these situations. I deliberately didn't try to persuade ds to be cooperative as I wanted them to have a true picture.

FreshWest Wed 14-Nov-12 15:08:53

In some ways it might be ok if he's not on his best behaviour when they come to do the assessment, then they'll get a true picture.
If he's being assessed for autism by a special needs nursery then they will know what to look for iyswim.

They'll probably ask you questions too about his behaviour so you can tell them what he's usually like in social situations etc
If he is being assessed for autism then it will not be a surprise to them that he is upset by strange people coming to ask him to 'perform'!
Hope it goes ok smile

FreshWest Wed 14-Nov-12 15:10:52

Cross posted multiple times grin

JustPondering Wed 14-Nov-12 15:54:51

Hi, I don't think he will be attending the nursery Ineedalife they are just assessing him I think, can't be sure on that though.

I was just worried they wouldn't be able to assess him if they didn't know what he was capable of.

He is not too bad if we go somewhere such as a cafe, but he is terrible if someone he doesn't know comes to our house or if I take him to someone else's house and someone unexpected is there. He just screams till we/they leave. But you never know he might take to the lady from the nursery. I thought it may have been easier if they assessed him at the development centre as he may be calmer. But yes it would probably be good for them to see him at his worst.

Oh well I will make sure DS is well rested and hope for the best smile

Ineedalife Wed 14-Nov-12 16:37:47

OH sorry, wires crossedgrin

I still wouldnt worry, they will be very experienced and probably not easily phased.

If he wont do something that you know he can do, tell them. Always remember that you know him better than anyone.

If it goes really badly, ask if he can be assessed at the CDC in future. They probably think he will be more confident at home but that is not always the case.

Good lucksmile

BeeMom Wed 14-Nov-12 18:30:57

One thing that I learned after much fretting is that the lack of cooperation can tell about as much about the challenges the child faces as them doing exactly what they are told.

Honks, and please let us know how he fares.

JustPondering Wed 14-Nov-12 19:05:11

I will report back in the morning on how it went.

I think they will presume he has no receptive language at all as he will just stare at her blankly no matter what she says, but he can understand some things like drink, snack, breakfast, yoghurt and various vehicles and go upstairs bizarrely grin

JustPondering Thu 15-Nov-12 11:09:23

Hi, it went OK this morning he was having a tantrum when she got here which went on for the first thirty minutes that she was here but it was OK as she didn't need him to do anything, she just wanted to observe him, I think it is portage that came out as one of her leaflets said portage on it. She is going to find out if there is any places at the special needs nursery so that's great smile

She said if he does have autism it will be a long process for diagnosis with him being so young but that the special needs nursery will be a great place for him to be observed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now