Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

camhs first app

(7 Posts)
sannaville Tue 13-Nov-12 12:23:17

For my dd age 3.3. They've asked me to go alone is this normal for first app? My elder daughter was seen by them and I accompanied her

wibbleweed Tue 13-Nov-12 14:35:14

That sounds pretty normal where I am. I went alone for my first CAMHS appt for DS2 (5) and will be doing the same for my first appt for DS1 (8) later this month. It's a good chance for you to discuss your concerns without the child being in earshot. With DS2, after the first appt, I came back with him for 2 more appts where they assessed him (and discussed things further) - which in our case eventually led to a diagnosis.

Hope all goes well

WW x

sannaville Tue 13-Nov-12 15:13:07

Thanks wobble thats helpful

Ineedalife Tue 13-Nov-12 16:39:46

Yep sounds normal to me too, we had quite alot of appointments in the end and Dd3 only came to 2.

I always make a few notes before appointments to remind me what my main concerns are in case my mind goes blank.

Good lucksmile

sannaville Tue 13-Nov-12 17:26:55

Thanks ineeda getting my list ready now!

Handywoman Wed 14-Nov-12 12:04:58

That's brilliant, Sanna, I so wish I had been able to see Community Paed alone! it was awful having to trot out a list of things that are really difficult about my dd with her sitting next to me (the room was totally ill-equipped with no toys or pens or paper for kids....) chipping in occasionally, trying to 'explain' why she struggles in groups etc. etc. etc. Absolutely toe curling!

This way you will be able to keep the meeting concise and to the point, and pain a proper picture of your daughter and the concerns.

Next time I am going in armed with a Nintendo DS and some ear phones (which is bound to fail).

Good luck and don't forget your list!

HW x

sannaville Wed 14-Nov-12 19:41:51

Thanks handy!! I feel veryyy nervous about this meeting tbh. I'm not sure why. I feel like pead has washed hos hands of us as he can't find what's wrong and I'm worried about being called paranoid parent!!I want to get dd help but I don't want them to think I'm nuts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now