Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Step by step guide for a diagnosis/support for asperger syndrom

(7 Posts)
IAmfromMars Mon 12-Nov-12 12:28:59

First of all I have to say that I am not british and have only been in the UK for about 4 years. I am still feeling my way around the education system, NHS etc...

I am concerned with ds3 who seems to have some asperger's traits. He is now in Y4 and 8.5yo and the difference between him and his peers is showing up more and more.

At our parents evening, his teacher was concerned about some aspects of his behaviour, even though he has never disrupted the class. She mentioned lack of eye contact, rigidity (will do things 'his' way), some issues with filtering information (?? I suppose she means she says something, he can understand all the words but the information is not processed adequately?), misunderstandings, getting upset over minor things.
I have seen all that at home plus major rages in which he is hitting his older brother because things don't go the right way. And meltdowns where he is clearly completely overwhelmed.

He has never had any issues with english as such (was raised bilingual), His english wasn't great when we arrived and it took him a bit more time to settle than his dbs but has no issue now.

So how do I go to get some sort of diagnosis/assessment/support for him? The teacher is talking about going to see the SENCO at school but then what? And what about the GP? Is that an appropriate route too?
I have come across on here OT (occupational therapist?). How could they support ds3 and how do you get in touch with one?
I am used to a system where you go directly to see a paed who will refer to 'specialized' paed (eg paed psychologist), SALT etc.. and I am lost as to how the system works.

mumof2turds Mon 12-Nov-12 13:19:56

I would go to your gp and say that school have flagged up certain issues. Take a list with you so you don't forget anything and ask for a referral to a pead. No need to take ds with you. From then the pead should refer on to anything he feels appropriate

babiki Mon 12-Nov-12 13:57:10

Depends on the area a lot. I feel for you I'm also not British and the system is so different. You can look up online what is the diagnostic pathway in your area, but first point if call is always GP, ask for referral to developmental paedetrician... Then in many areas he will refer you to sort of children's centre where they have OT's, Salt's etc and where they do assesments and diagnoses. It can all take VERY long time. You can also get private assesment done - this is what I did. Also look up National autistic society, they have the process clearly explained there and also run a helpline.

IAmfromMars Mon 12-Nov-12 14:56:58

Does the GP always refers to a paed? I seem to have understood that they can also refer to CAMHS in some areas.

Would CAMHS also be a good pathway? I am unsure as to what they do compared to a development paed or the ed psychologist for example.

Re private assessment, where did you get yours done?

babiki Mon 12-Nov-12 15:06:56

It really depends on the area, Camhs can be good but also awful... If you ask GP for the referral he should give it to you. Waiting lists for Camhs and the children's centre can be even 6-9 months sad. I have the specialist online, but I needed somebody who workes with kids under five, so she wouldn't be suitable in your case... Try google or open a new thread on here regarding private diagnoses.

IAmfromMars Mon 12-Nov-12 15:27:15

Thanks, I will try that too smile

babiki Mon 12-Nov-12 19:42:23

Good lucksmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: