Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Advice please dyspraxia fitness egg allergy the list goes on

(8 Posts)
Heartstart Sun 11-Nov-12 23:15:27

Ds8 has recently been diagnosed with mild dyspraxia and hypermobility. He is v tall, 99 centile and overweight most of which he carries on his belly. He has a reasonably active life walks to school both ways each day (total 3.5 miles a day) he goes to swimming, cubs and rugby. He struggles to keep up in rugby. His catching is okish but he has poor muscle strength and aerobic capacity.
He is allergic to egg, has mild lactose intolerance and so we find food particularly breakfast bit hard.

So we all (Ds dh and I) all had a chat today about what would help him. He wants to do some more exercise and we can help him but we don't know what sort of exercises are the right one, I have does anyone have any tips - about any of this thank pu

Ruggles Mon 12-Nov-12 12:13:05

Hi Headstart - I'm afraid I don't know very much about exercise but have a couple of ideas. We've just received the set4sport.com pack which you sign up for on the website. Its promoted by Judy Murray and full of ideas for back garden exercise for fitness and agility etc. Also, I've just lost tons of weight by following the Joanna Hall walking regime. In one of her books she has a chapter on children. She promotes an active walking style which really helps shift fat, especially from around the middle. PM me if you'd like some more info. http://www.joannahall.com/walkactive.php

My ds is allergic to eggs too and we've just started following the Brain Food Plan which suggests lots of eggy breakfasts.... Beans on toast? Sausages and tomatoes? Bacon and mushrooms? Rice milk and oats? These are my thoughts, but I'm worried about how I'll manage this in the mornings... smile

BeeMom Mon 12-Nov-12 15:33:00

Egg allergies can be challenging, but there are no shortage of other quick protein choices for breakfast. One favourite in our house is cottage cheese with fruit.

For my DS (who is 5'10" and 170# at 14 - hard to believe he used to be "failure to thrive" and tube fed) he has low muscle tone and does find strength and endurance a problem. He has found (if you have a Wii with a balance board) that the Wii Fit yoga has been very helpful for him. He can be terribly self conscious, so this is good for him - he does it at home on his own, and none of his friends know at all. He is also involved in martial arts classes, plays badminton and canoes weekly when the weather will allow.

We found that adding a snack just before bed that was equal parts fat/protein/carb (cheese and crackers, apple slices with peanut butter) made a HUGE difference in how he felt. He woke with more energy, lost a bit of weight, didn't change what he ate in the morning at all, but also didn't wake feeling starved.

He is not terribly overweight, but because of his low tone and significant lordosis, has quite the belly. It is another thing he is self conscious about, but we found that a bit of research about cuts for clothing that don't emphasize his shape and letting him choose his own clothes more helped with his self image, which spilled over into his willingness to keep trying.

I struggled terribly with my weight as a child, and was ridiculed by my parents for it - I swore I would not do the same to him. I did explain to him that because I was obese, he is genetically more likely to have the same problem, and setting habits while he is young will help him in the long term. He walks 12 km a day (6 km each way to/from school by choice) so he seems to "get it". He doesn't remember me at my highest weight, but I am still a fairly big woman, and have lost 150# from my top weight. I struggle to keep it off, but it is only partly body type, and a lot of habit sad Doing things together is the key - he keeps me honest, I help to motivate him.

porridgelover Mon 12-Nov-12 18:04:11

I cant advise much about the diet. Just sympathy as DS is lactose intolerant.

This book is by a lady who does a lot of work on Dyspraxia and as far as I remember, includes an exercise programme for children with Dyspraxia. I got it from my library a few times.
Core strength is often an issue for children with dyspraxia also....pilates or equivalent is often helpful.

Heartstart Mon 12-Nov-12 21:12:17

Thanks all v helpful. Bless him he has started on the running machine every morning

mrslaughan Tue 13-Nov-12 11:01:36

Also DS has dyspraxia - and we found doing a brain gym routine every morning helped, we followed a clip that was a couple of minutes long on you tube.....I used to do it with him (only way I could get him to do it) and it made a diff to my abdominals - couldn't believe it!

Heartstart Tue 13-Nov-12 22:26:35

Mrslaughlan... I will def look at that .. For my benefit.

mrslaughan Wed 14-Nov-12 07:31:13

There is lots of crossing the midline in it, which is why it is great.
Depending on how your DS is, we had to start DS lying on the floor on his back doing "cross crawl" before we graduated to the video.
I am learning to ride and I ride sooooo much better on the days that I have done brain gym - its amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now