Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Fish Oil - opposite reaction??

(4 Posts)
AAmommy Sun 11-Nov-12 00:21:18

Did anyone had their children react to fish oil. Our LO has been prescribed increased dosage of fish oil due to his ASD issues/ mainly language. He seems to change in couple days after being on it - more tantrums, less responsive, very unsettled and too active and hyper. Am I right attributing it to the fish oil, or it's just bad/good days, not enough sleep, etc? Did anyone have such reaction to the fish oil? Worth to note, he was on a regular dosage of fish oil before and I did not see any behaviour that I am seeing now. Would really appreciate to know your experience with it.

Shayo Sun 11-Nov-12 08:22:30

Hi yes when I first started but remember you're to introduce it gradually tiny bit at a time till you reach the desired dosage ,noting any changes as you go along.
So it could take 2-3 weeks depending on the amount trying to be achieved.maybe stop for the meantime see what happens and then start again

zzzzz Sun 11-Nov-12 10:00:46

Yes, change brand or reduce and build up slowly. I think mine was angry and frustrated and just expressing it better.

AAmommy Mon 12-Nov-12 21:00:11

Thank you for your responses. I wasn't sure that it is fish oil, because when I mentioned it to couple people, I was told that even if there is a reaction, it only lasts a week or so. In our case it lasts as long as he is taking it. I have tried two brands, but I think it is the concentration and dosage that triggers the reaction. We started with Nordic and he was fine up to 3mls/day. As we increased it, he started having reaction. Then switched to Speak and the same story. So it seems to me like dosage (especially considering that Nordic is very concentratrated). In terms of reaction, it is the same in our case. Frustrated, rigid, irritated, but it seemed to improve the languge side. Though it is very hard to do anything with him now sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now