Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any autistic/Dyspraxic GIRLS please - dr asked for brain scan

(19 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Sat 10-Nov-12 16:06:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArthurPewty Sat 10-Nov-12 16:15:42

Whistlingwaves Sat 10-Nov-12 16:18:32

nothinginthefridge Sat 10-Nov-12 16:22:09

It really is quite frightening what some 'professionals' think.

Lougle Sat 10-Nov-12 16:24:33

I'd embrace it, personally. He's only asking for a picture of her brain to check if the ASD/dspraxia is organic or a consequence of something else.

Whistlingwaves Sat 10-Nov-12 16:28:08

madwomanintheattic Sat 10-Nov-12 16:32:05

I'd go for it. A friend had a son who had been dx with autism and dyspraxia and ended up having an MRI at 11 (unrelated) which showed a completely different brain condition which can look very like autism. It was a bit of a shock, but at least gave them a more accurate picture.

Dd2 has had 2 brain mris. (She has cp).

I think he's just using the 'girls' line as an excuse to check out his dx. And understandably so, tbh. I'd be thrilled to have such a consultant, rather than one that believes his own theories and refuses to actually check out all other options.

Ineedalife Sat 10-Nov-12 17:01:48

At Dd3's school and the support group I go to its a fairly even split between girls and boys.

I would prob go for the mri though just to be certain nothing else is going on.

He shouldnt have said asd/dyspraxia is unusual in girls though, it isnt helpful for girls needing a dx.

chipmonkey Sat 10-Nov-12 17:07:38

I work with children with SNs. I was expecting before I started to be mainly working with boys but actually have found it's a fairly even split with just slightly more boys. I think girls with ASD fall under the radar a lot and are possibly under-diagnosed.

ArthurPewty Sat 10-Nov-12 19:54:37

parsnipcake Sat 10-Nov-12 20:44:45

My dd is the only girl in her autistic unit. She is in a class with 6 boys. I think there is a lot of under diagnosis because girls do present differently. I wouldn't rule out an MRI if it might be useful to helping her or others though, it's maybe a more enlightened approach than our psychiatrist, whose first line treatment is heavy duty drugs ( though I will admit rispiridone has transformed dd and our lives)

ArthurPewty Sun 11-Nov-12 08:23:58

MummytoMog Sun 11-Nov-12 14:05:13

They could MRI my DD with my blessings - she was starved of oxygen at birth and a forceps delivery, so I'd love to know if her speech delay was a result of some kind of brain damage.

TheTimeTravellersWife Sun 11-Nov-12 19:26:04

I would have it done; I wanted DD to have one done, but was fobbed off by the Paed, and I feel guilty that I did not pursue it, but there are only so many battles that you can fight...
It is less common for girls to have ASD and dyspraxia, but not unusual, if that makes sense.
I do still think about requesting one though, as DD has a number of co-existing conditions, autism, dyspraxia, fine and gross motor skills a discrete speech and language difficulty, attention problems, MLD and I do suspect that they may be caused by brain damage.

ArthurPewty Sun 11-Nov-12 20:49:20

elliejjtiny Sun 11-Nov-12 20:53:31

I have dyspraxia. I don't know about autism but someone told me once that dyspraxia seems to be more common in boys because they are expected to be more sporty and if they can't play football etc then it will be noticed. Bear in mind this was in 1989 so things have moved on a lot since then.

My DS2 had an MRI (he has EDS and it was to rule out other problems) and he had a GA. He bounced back fairly quickly but there was a little boy with autism who was having it done too and he found it quite traumatic.

madwomanintheattic Sun 11-Nov-12 21:29:36

Leonie, I think that's the point. The consultant is obviously checking there isn't any other reason for the asd/dyspraxia symptoms. Even kids who have been dx asd for years can later have an MRI and find out there is an underlying brain condition, and they were never asd at all.

And if there isn't, well, then the asd/dyspraxia dx is more definite.

ArthurPewty Sun 11-Nov-12 21:31:36

madwomanintheattic Sun 11-Nov-12 21:42:39

Mm, that's what my friend thought with her two boys.

She kind of wishes she still thought it was just asd, tbh. They had been content with that dx for years, and the new one has meant lots of unanswered questions and a possible genetic link that means she and her dh are going to have to have MRI, too. Asd is at least a 'safe' dx. This one means they have the potential of losing one or both boys in the short to medium term. V scary.

They had literally no idea at all until the consultant suggested a routine MRI for the youngest.

Dd2 has had two. I'm very glad she has. I would also like one for ds1, as I am not entirely convinced about his dxs, and it would be interesting to get a complete neurological picture, rather than a guess. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now