Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Reassure me please.

(3 Posts)
MyAngelChuckles Sat 10-Nov-12 15:57:33

So I went to the meeting last week with SENCO and statement officer and they have agreed to some rewording so that 'regular social skills training' will be changed to 'social skills trainnig to be incorperated into DS's daily school life' or something similar.

I was asking for it to be changed to weekly social skills training but the SENCO said that with DS he would benefit from a constant trickle of little reminders and 5 minutes here and there to reinforce what he is learning as his concentration is poor, and I do agree with her. Similar changes are being made to a couple more points and the lunch time provision is being made more specific.

This is good right? So why am I feeling like I'm missing something, there's this little bit at the back of my brain telling me that this waas to easy, or there is something I missed, after everything taking so long and the initial letter I sent being dismissed completely I wasn't expecting this.

Please someone one come along and give me a kick up the backside and tell me stop being paranoid and just enjoy something being easy for a change.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 10-Nov-12 16:19:23

What is the social skills going to look like?
Who is going to deliver it?
How are the school going to ensure that there is someone on hand to teach ds at the time that it matters/is appropriate?
What strategies/programme are they going to use?
What are the relevant social skills qualifications of the person who will be teaching your ds these skills?
Are these trickling constant reminders just going to be a continuation of what is already happening with the class teacher noticing now and then and commenting 'ds you forgot to say please'.
How is his progress in social skills going to be measured?
Have they got a baseline?
Who is going to set the targets and what is their qualifications and experience in doing so?

MyAngelChuckles Sat 10-Nov-12 18:55:45

Well, his support worker will be the one doing this and they already have a highly visual approach with him, and he has a reward system in place thats tailored to him, he gets 15 hours a week atm and though she isn't trained as far as I know, this is their 3rd year together and she is very patient with him and he likes her alot, they will also be doing a chatter club once a week and another sort of play based group excercise once a week.

Not sure about the last 3 points though, I will need to bring that up, none of this will be going into the statement thoufgh as far as I am aware, does this lvl of detail need to be in there?

I am unsure of the exact wording they will use but it should say something along the lines of 'social skills training to be incorperated into DS daily routine/school life as part of a small group in order to develop his friendship group and positive interaction with his peers'

There is more but I dont want to put to much on here smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now