Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Little bit scared for myself

(18 Posts)
BeeMom Sat 10-Nov-12 12:31:14

Please send me some honks and happy thoughts...

Last night, while doing some paperwork for an upcoming arts show I am doing to help with the family finances I noticed an odd little "spot" in the paper that seemed almost like digital static. The thing is, when I looked up from the paper, the static spot came with me.

Long story short, I have suddenly developed a fully blind spot very close to the centre of my field of vision - when I am watching TV, for example, it blocks out the station identifier in the corner of the screen. I went to bed last night hoping against hope that I was going to wake up with a crushing migraine or something - no such luck sad. It is definitely my eye, and not just the lead up to a beast of a headache.

I am going to try and get in to see a doctor today, but an ophthalmology consultant will be hard to come by on a week end. If it is actually a problem with my retina, this could be a game changer, and with no money for medication... a pretty bloody ugly one.

I want to get off this ride.

pinkorkid Sat 10-Nov-12 12:46:45

This sounds pretty scary and not what you need at the moment. I hope it turns out to be something transient or easily fixed. Sending positive thoughts your way. Let us know how you get on at doctor's.

moosemama Sat 10-Nov-12 13:01:01

Don't panic Bee, believe it or not, it could be a type of migraine, without the pain. Visual migraines often only cause blind spot type symptoms for only short periods of time, but in some people, myself included, the symptoms can last for several days.

Migraines are often worse and more frequent when people are stressed and considering the amount of stress you are under at the moment, I would say you are a prime candidate.

Migraines are horrible things, with a plethora of scary symptoms that can mimic other far scarier illnesses, so I completely understand your fear.

Hope you manage to see someone about it today and it does turn out to be something simple.

(hug)

Bluebirdonmyshoulder Sat 10-Nov-12 13:01:17

Sorry, I don't know much about eyes but just wanted to tell you I'm thinking of you.

If you can't get to see a doctor today, do you wear glasses or contacts? If so, I'd get down to your opticians and ask them to look. Or do so anyway, I doubt very much that any optician would turn someone away.

Bluebirdonmyshoulder Sat 10-Nov-12 13:05:41

Actually thinking about it, if I was you I'd go to A&E.

I'm sure Moosemama is right but I do know of one very nasty eye condition that resulted as a build up of pressure where it got worse by the hour. Don't know all the details but I know his sight was saved by early intervention.

Take care of yourself.

moosemama Sat 10-Nov-12 13:16:53

Bluebird is right, if you can't get to see your GP, do go to A&E. I was sent to the Eye Hospital's A&E department by my GP when I developed similar symptoms, accompanied by the worst eye-pain/headache I've ever had (and I've suffered from severe complex migraine all my adult life) and they gave me a thorough eye check there and then.

Bluebird, you're thinking about acute glaucoma. That's what they thought I might have when they sent me to A&E. The pain is caused by the pressure building up in the eye, and you're right, unlike chronic glaucoma, it's a medical emergency.

coff33pot Sat 10-Nov-12 14:08:34

Hugs and honking for you beemom xxxx

MyAngelChuckles Sat 10-Nov-12 15:59:50

Hope everything turns out well Beemom x

Handywoman Sat 10-Nov-12 19:01:19

hugs and a honk, beemom, hope it resolves v soon xxxx

BeeMom Sun 11-Nov-12 01:31:30

Thank you for all your concern. I did manage to get into an optometrist this morning, and have an emergency referral to get in to see a retinal surgeon on Monday morning.

Apparently, there is an area of macular swelling that may or may not be fluid escaping behind the retina in my right eye. I desperately wanted it to be an ocular migraine, and when I first told the doc about "sudden onset blind spot" she thought that, too. Until the part about it not moving and that it had been around for more than 12 hours by that time came up, that is. Those don't fir the bill for an ocular migraine at all.

I have distinct instructions to avoid any lifting, specific instructions for what degree of things getting worse would require me to go to A&E (but I would wait many, many hours to get care, particularly after hours AND on the weekend). I am (understandably) worried about the outcome - there is a VERY good chance this will lead to some degree of permanent vision loss. Not too thrilled about the testing I am going to have to face over the next little while, either, tbh.

Guess what - the doc told me that this sort of thing, while very uncommon, is frequently caused by stress. Gee, no stress around this house hmm.

moosemama Sun 11-Nov-12 13:58:04

Oh Beemom, I'm so sorry to hear this. I was really hoping it would turn out to be a migraine, you have more than enough on your plate without this as well. sad

Good luck for your appointment on Monday. I will be thinking of you and sending lots of strength and ((hugs)).

imogengladhart Sun 11-Nov-12 13:59:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeeMom Sun 11-Nov-12 14:03:03

Actually, let me clarify... the swelling is not very uncommon - it is not common, but it happens almost exclusively in men. I wouldn't pass the entrance exam for "male" grin

MammaTJ Mon 12-Nov-12 08:38:57

Just spotted this and came to wish you good luck!!

So glad you are holding on to your sense of humour.

mumof2turds Mon 12-Nov-12 08:44:01

Oh no bee, take it easy until you are seen at the hosp

coff33pot Mon 12-Nov-12 08:48:38

Hope it goes ok for you today beemom xx

troutsprout Mon 12-Nov-12 10:25:48

Hope it goes well for you also x

moosemama Mon 12-Nov-12 21:00:45

How did it go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now